Should I have a "Home" button? User testing article

I had a sort of argument with my wife about this when designing her home page. In her view, “Only web design experts know that the logo goes to the home page”.

Sometimes you have to design for the least common denominator.

We are graphic designers and web designers in Peterborough, and build a lot of website for a variety of clients. We always include a ‘Home’ button on the main navigation, as we believe that from a usability point of view this is a useful feature that most users will appreciate when exploring the website. Novice users aren’t always going to know that they need to click on a logo or something else to go back to the Home Page, and simply put, most users do not want to waste time searching round for a way to get back to the Home Page. Exploring a website should always be made as simple as possible.

I’m a firm believer that you should make the logo a link home, AND include a link home, even on the home page. Many websites I visit I’ll often hit ‘home’ even when on the home page, just to get a faster refresh (since refresh can often reload EVERYTHING ignoring the cache). Forums are a great example of this. It also as already mentioned addresses how many people can end up on your site NOT via the home page (unless you did something STUPID like framesets or AJAX for framesets) so on sub-pages that link should ALWAYS be there.

I did see the most common argument against it in there, that it can confuse people when they are already on the home page… that can IMMEDIATELY be dismissed if you take the time to SHOCK style the current page link in the menu. (or at least it’s subsection). If home is lit up when you’re home, and it’s not lit up when you aren’t, where’s the confusion?

Precisely. Although it’s amazing what can confuse some people (though I guess I shouldn’t talk, being the dumb@ss that I am. Everything confuses me. :frowning: )

when you on homepage,there is no need to have that button but when you are not on homepage,the button should appear.

this is my opinion.

You cold argue that for any page, though. And to have a different menu on every page would be quite confusing.

I did two user tests yesterday, on the page that doesn’t have a home button (tho I later added one to the footer, but apparently nobody sees the footer lawlz).

One tester was a button/link clicker, while the other was a back-button user. Both users started their first tasks from the main page (with our site, Google does offer the main page 99% of the time).

The button clicker went for the logo right away (because I directed him to the main page to start a different task), while the other user always used the back button until she got to the main page.

It was interesting to see how often they navigated back to the main page themselves when looking around for stuff, even though all the possible options are in the main large menu (which they also used, but they both seemed to prefer looking at the main page when given a “find X” task).

Unfortunately one user already works for us and already knew some stuff a real user wouldn’t know (there was a bug in the back-end which allowed all-risk insurance on a vehicle older than 5 years, and the first tester announced “that’s not right, you can’t do that”). I would love to get an older person (or 3) who has owned a vehicle (neither of my testers have ever owned or insured a vehicle, meaning some of the terms a real client would know were not entirely certain to them) and especially someone I could give the task of “your child just got a vehicle: insure it for them but under your name”. This is where I think the most confuzle-ments are, yet I cannot test this well.

PEOPLE COME TEST FOR ME I HAVE COOKIES

Poes, are they home-made cookies? I’d be a test candidate but unless you have an English version you might have issues.

I’d be a test candidate but unless you have an English version you might have issues.

Even if translated to English, we still assume Dutch ppl who’ve purchased/thinking of purchasing a vehicle and know what “lawfully-required responsibility-insurance” is versus “lawfully-required responsibility-insurance plus” versus “casco all-risk”.

In Britain it is essentially; Third Party only insurance, or Comprehensive insurance (full cover).

Slightly off topic, I recently created a page with no home button, no top logo and no navigation. The idea being that it was an article site. Each page was an article, and Google was the home page. People would get to the articles by search, and each article would stand on it’s own merits.

Interestingly it didn’t do well in the SERPs, presumably because Google was not able to navigate it. When I added a home link (by making the header h1 clickable) I saw a jump in rankings.

Not too surprising though – EXACTLY what I would have expected in fact. Google indexes pages by links on a page – if you have no links, it’s not going to sit there randomly typing values into your search form.

No links == no listings of sub-pages… or even the main page. I believe Google in fact ignores link-less pages assuming that they are actually meant to be showed in frames, or something to that effect.

With no links to any of the sub-pages, there’s no way for search engines to spider the site – so your SERPS are gonna be bad… really bad.

Yes, but you can also put the link of your homepage in your logo or at the header if you dont want to add a home button so everytime users click your header they will be directed to your homepage

An option but I think a top-level navigation menu should stay consistent.

Personally for me current page links should be styled differently and optionally disable the link although I prefer to keep it in just for any indexing benefits it might have (although I have no evidence to confirm this!).

Yes you should have…, People are used to it now and if you didn’t put it your visitors will find it like some thing missing…

Many web designers assume that users would think in the same way as they do. This is the biggest mistake one can make. When designing a website, one must remember that world is full of different people who behave differently to one another. Therefore, having a “home” button in a menu, AS WELL AS a link in the logo (and maybe even in the breadcrumbs and footer) is a good idea. you should never assume that “they will certainly click here…”. Whatever you can do to ease the navigation for the user, the better it will be for their experience of your site - and this is what we are all after, aren’t we?

<snip/>

For me is very important the homepage link in the Logo and a “Home” button. Just check Sitepoint page! They have all I mentioned!

<snip/>

I would build a site with no assumptions and always include both a ‘home’ button, along with linking up the logo to the homepage. :slight_smile:

We use one and our heatmaps show it’s used.

I think it should always be included. Spoon feed.