Should I put meta keyword in the wordpress?

Hi

Should I still put the meta keywords in word press blog even though I use ALL IN ONE SEO plug in?

I also use the ALL IN ONE SEO plugin, and if used properly, the plugin will add keywords to every single post. You can also configure it to add the meta: keywords, description, etc. to the home page by going to Settings -> All In One SEO, and even to individual pages.

So short answer: no- as long as you are using All In One SEO, the meta tags are sorted out.

Caveat: You must update the All In One SEO fields for every single post or the meta tags will not appear.

If you do include a meta tag in your header.php file- be warned: most search engines (including Google) only look at the first <meta name=“keywords”> tag, so including it in your header may cause conflicts with All In One SEO.

Thanks a lot for the information.

If you like you can use META keywords, just be aware that no search engine worth bothering about even uses them. Google and all the major spiders have stopped giving them any value on the basis that they are spammed to heck. I would not bother using them and provide richer content through other means. :slight_smile:

As a search engine prowls your site, it gathers information from the title, headings, content, and Meta Tags such as description or keywords. It compares the words within each of these sections and “ranks” the site dependent upon how well the information matches.It is important to understand that a default installation of WordPress does not contain the description and keywords meta tag data. Meta tags can be added manually, through changes to the Theme template files or through WordPress Plugins.

A good question to ask is if meta tags are still necessary. They used to be more helpful, providing important information to the Internet browser. As browsers became more sophisticated, they stopped needing a lot of hand holding in order to figure out if your site is in English or Chinese.

Some search engines don’t use the meta tag information any more because many people abused it. In fact, meta tags may not represent the content of your site. But, it still doesn’t hurt your status with search engines if you make use of these little bits of information, and do so truthfully.

Without a doubt, content is the biggest contributor to search engine page ranking, so if you want to raise your rankings, make sure you have quality content.

Keywords meta tags, on the other hand, are still used by Google and other important search engines to categorize and rank your website. Those engines compare the keywords with the content, giving you “points” for having your keywords match your content. Keywords are one of the most important meta tags you can add to your WordPress site.

Covering all the reasons meta tags are and aren’t important to search engines is beyond the scope of this article.

I think we can all agree that meta tags are becoming devalued in terms of SEO and browser usage because of misuse on the part of spammers and website builders in the past. But to answer your question about them being necessary- I think they are very necessary (or at least some form of them).

Consider the fact that it is not only the browser that is now accessing our web pages and applications, or that they are solely indexed by search engines like Google. Maybe the “API” to most of our sites is in terms of RSS, but we can’t deny that the reach of our web pages has exploded beyond the scope of the browser. Both developers and computers need to understand the ontological meaning behind your web content, and as we approach a more “Semantic Web” this ontological descriptors will become increasingly important.

So since we aren’t ready to replace our meta tags with RDF, maybe its good practice to keep well balanced, clean meta tags in our documents?

I use all in one seo plug in for the wordpress. If I put meta key words manually in the file, would there be any confusion or affect the ranking between key words from SEO plug in and the keywords from the file itself?

I think there’s a clarification made previously by google saying that they will not take meta tags into account anymore but obviously there’s no harm adding it either.

Yep they are no longer important at all!
But should we completely stop using all the meta tags? No!!

thank you all for the advices.

What’s beyond the scope of your “article” is anything factual, you said search engines take into account META tags when gathering information and then contradict yourself by saying that they ignore them to the large extent (and say it’s OK to have them if their ignored) and then you backtrack again and say that Google still use them. Two things for you to learn: First is that Browsers DO NOT use META information, no browser looks at the META details such as keywords and make a determination about the language of origin, this is absolute trash talking, browsers do not translate pages nor have they ever tried to determine what language is in use. If you’re talking about content-type, that’s something absolutely different, not to be confused with languages. And the second point… Google DO NOT use META keywords, again that’s utter rubbish. Perhaps you should spend more time researching factual information than providing misleading information and fluff. :slight_smile:

Why aren’t you ready to replace META tags with RDF? I’ve been using RDF implementations for the past 2 years! Google and Bing both recognise and makes use of RDF META information provided by the DCMI (Dublin Core Metadata Initiative), and they implement them in such a way that it doesn’t affect the PageRank (so it’s not going to be spammed), it’s simply used as a method of describing the document further (wherever it ranks elsewhere). :slight_smile:

Should we place meaningless information in our files which everyone ignores so it’s only impact is to waste bandwidth? If you think yes, I disagree :wink:

This is what I meant:

I should have been more explicit, I was aiming my comments at the keywords META tag, not META tags (or information) in general. Like the article you posted kindly points out, Google Search (the one most people use) ignores them entirely, therefore their inclusion is redundant. :slight_smile:

meta keyword is most important to do seo well…
meta keyword in one off seo method ( on page optimization)…
but, on page optimization is must support with off page activity …

Thanks

yup sure! if you specify that you’re talking about keywords :slight_smile:

i add meta tags manually by adding some meta tags on index.php and it helps to increase my blog SERP.