Should I use nofollow in links to my disclaimer and privacy policy?

Hi friends ,
I want to know Is it a good thing to put ‘nofollow’ in links to a disclaimer, privacy statement and other pages like that with the internal PageRank ??

Presumably you don’t actually want those pages indexed, so you could do it that way. However, a safer way would be to exclude them using robots.txt. (Because if somebody else links to those pages, and doesn’t nofollow the link, the pages will end up indexed after all.)

Its not as much important to use no follow link for website but if you don’t want to give credibility of internal pages then you can use no follow link.

No need to use nofollow links. This will no eefect your website page rank or any thing. Use normal code and this will help you in giving do follow links.

Why would one nofollow those pages? duplicate content?

J

There shouldn’t be a problem with duplicate content, but why would you even want it indexed in the first place? So nofollow would make sense, but disallowing it in robots.txt makes even more sense - to me, at any rate. :slight_smile: I can’t think of any other reason to nofollow those links.

I’d say don’t worry about it and let search engines decide if they think those pages are worth indexing.

I found the TOS ranking higher than some of the “proper” pages on a small site (presumably because of the number of times the business name, which was also a keyword phrase, was mentioned). As that was definitely not what I wanted, I’ve made a point of disallowing TOS ever since.

Using nofollow on a link doesn’t affect any of the other pages linked to from that page. Having nofollow also doesn’t stop the page being indexed by the search engine.

If you don’t want the pages listed then either say so in the robots.txt or add a meta tag to those pages to specify noindex.

There is no reason whatever to use nofollow on your own links as you have full control of whether or not your own pages are indexed. It is only for links to other sites where nofollow serves any purpose that doesn’t have a better alternative.

Isn’t that missing an opportunity to bring in customers via TOS page. Surely a well set up TOS page could work to your advantage if it has better value than other content pages. Just curious :wink:

Maybe I am, but I’d be highly unlikely to follow a link from a search engine to a business’s TOS page, so I tend to assume other folk would be the same. (Probably a big mistake, because I’d be the first to admit I’m not really typical. ;))

To go back to the original question, here’s Matt Cutts on the subject:

Yep seen that video!

Whaddya mean you’re not really typical, must be the air up there, or the whisky :wink:

[ot]

Not the whisky, I’m teetotal - which itself is an indication of how a-typical I am (round here, anyway). :lol:[/ot]