Should we tell the * to F*** off? :-o

@molona i think we are on similar pages with our views on this. Just to add to what you’ve said i think this was an interesting debate and clearly the people on both sides are intelligent people as it didn’t descend into petty name calling or stupidity. Perhaps we’ve all learnt at least something (or maybe not :slight_smile: who knows).

I’ll leave you with this thought … if words are just words and shouldn’t have more or less meaning than another why bother telling your partner/family that you love them. If a word is just a word and carries no weight then it has no meaning. Just to contradict myself I love bacon sandwiches so i guess i use the L word too freely. Although a good bacon sandwich on white with tomato sauce is hard to beat, given the choice i’d still choose my Girlfriend (unless i am hungry and then the decision gets a bit more difficult :slight_smile: ).

The word is just a word. It’s the intent behind it that means something :wink:

2 Likes

true and that is why i try and avoid swear words on forums (and in public) as it is hard to know sometimes what the intent is when heard by a third party out of context.

1 Like

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11822382_877995058935985_6563969930311117466_n.jpg?oh=0877270b33e865e9bed2d7ba2a1f676a&oe=564E6FFC

indeed context and the society you are in is everything. Go topless on a beach in france no-one will care, try that in Saudi-Arabia and you will end up in jail. Do that on a bus and man or woman no-one wants to see it and you’ll probably be walking home. Same with swearing…perhaps

I’m not sure the video matches to support the text. The video talks about outsiders like aliens thinking strange our use of the F word which stands for love to being offensive which it is because it has more than just the meaning of making love, as in F off. The text refers to the inappropriateness of censoring words like the F word without censoring the content often just as bad.

We do this because such words we have been raised to view as making such content even more offensive. We likely have such a powerful objection to such words more than content alone because of a longstanding generational belief that discipline was vital for children starting at the earliest possible age so we needed to designate a few words as forbidden by children classified as “swear” or “cuss” words to give us a reason to discipline them to show them the necessity of an ordered life starting with do’s and dont’s.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.