Signatures at SitePoint

What’s the deal with signatures here? I can’t get mine to work.

Until your account is 90 days old you will not be able to use a signature.

After your account has reached 90 days of age, your signature will be unlocked and you can start using it on your posts.

Why?

We all notice those fluffy, pointless junk posts littering the forums from people who sign up just to spread backlinks. Lots of those people are not even here to participate – they just post junk in the hope that either a search engine or actual users will come along and hit up their sites.

OMG, that’s not fair. I’m not here to get backlinks.

Those of you who are here to be part of our community for the right reasons will hopefully understand. It’s a shame that junk posters have spoiled it for the rest of us. I’m sorry.

Those of you who are here to spread junk and backlinks – well, we’re not here to be a free advertising space for you. If you want to advertise, use our Marketplace to ask for a link exchange.

Isn’t there another way you can deal with the problem?

Yes. Our signatures are already no-follow, and yet people still rock up with their dodgy keyword stuffing signatures. What’s more, we still appear on those shonky 'Top 500 Dofollow Forums!!" lists promoted widely by the shadier side of the SEO industry.

Clearly, merely making links no-follow isn’t enough to deter these sorts of posters. This is another method we can use. Hopefully it will help.