Single vs Double Quotes (Very Confusing!)

The row in the table would highlight whenever I mouse over it.
This works perfectly in HTML but I would like to convert from HTML code to Javascritp code to make it more dynamic.

<html>
<body>

<TABLE border=1>
 <TR bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onMouseOver="this.bgColor='gold';" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#FFFFFF';">
   <TD>Mauritania</td><TD>21N</TD><TD>24N</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD>
 </TR>
 <TR bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onMouseOver="this.bgColor='gold';" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#FFFFFF';">
   <TD>Myanmar</td><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>M TBA</TD><TD>M TBA</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD>
 </TR>
   <TD>Nepal</td><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>M TBA</TD>
 </TR>
</TABLE>

</body>
</html>

I tried to convert it to Javascript but it only gives me a blank screen.
This is very frustrating because I don’t know where I’m going wrong.
Any comments of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">

function init(){
   document.writeln('<TABLE border=1>');

document.writeln('<TR bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onMouseOver="this.bgColor='gold';" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#FFFFFF';">');
   document.writeln('<TD>Mauritania</td><TD>21N</TD><TD>24N</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD> </TR>');

document.writeln('<TR bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onMouseOver="this.bgColor='gold';" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#FFFFFF';">');
   document.writeln('<TD>Myanmar</td><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>M TBA</TD><TD>M TBA</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR>');

document.writeln('<TD>Nepal</td><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD>M TBA</TD></TR></TABLE>')';
}
</script>
</head>

<body onload="init()">
</body>
</html>

The problem seems to occur at places such as:

bgColor=‘gold’

There you need to escape the quotes, by using \’ instead of ’