SIP and PBX

Hiyah

At an office we have a Samsung PBX which about 100 numbers. It’s quite small, but it’s got about 20 phones connected to it.

I know that it supports SIP… So, I was thinking of getting a SIP phone for home.
We have a LAN-to-LAN VPN between some of the homes and the office.

Would it be possible to route calls from the PBX to a SIP phone over a VPN?

I dont know much about SIP :slight_smile:

Thank you !

Aaron

I’ve worked with a 3COM system which was configured in a similar manner…there was one remote site which used a VPN and used one of the internal IP phones. You may want to test the SIP phone internally first before configuring the VPN, as that is probably the more complicated part.

Well, the VPN works fine :slight_smile:
So, I’ll test the SIP phones locally at the office first and then install them in the homes :slight_smile:

Hmm… I need to remember the PBX password first :slight_smile:

Thank you

Aaron

Not sure if this is appropriate for what you want but check out PBXes.org for your home set up.

I use it with some of my free DID’s and my VoIP service with Onesuite. PBXes is free (2000 minutes per month) but there is a paid version if you want more features. Check it out.

If your office PBX system support virtual extensions then it is better to utilize this feature instead. Any number (cellphone, home, office, virtual numbers) can be assigned an extension. Plus virtual extensions supports other call features like call forwarding, call screening, etc.