Site: abc.com vs site:www.abc.com which shows you more link ? why?

i came up with a unique Query, one of my colleague asked me which will give us or show more site results either we use site: abc.com or site: [noparse]www.abc.com[/noparse] and WHY ??

i have checked so far i got more results if i used site: abc.com but i don’t the reason why i am getting more results in this case not for site: abc.com

please help me to clear the confusion.

Thanks

It’s not a good idea to have your site available at both the www and non www versions, as the search engine value of the site is split in half. So decide which one you’d like to keep and eliminate the other. There is lots of info on how to do this, such as here: http://www.besthostratings.com/articles/force-www-htaccess.html

you are not getting my question what i am trying to say . for better clarification i will share screenshots with you what i have observed. please look into it, and give me some good advise why it happening

Google has indexed some of your pages without www. in the URL. When you do a site:domain.com search, it shows everything on the domain, but when you do a site:[noparse]www.domain.com search it only shows pages on www., obviously. As Ralph says, you’ve got some pages that are indexed twice, with and without the www.,[/noparse] and this is bad for SEO.

Yes I am. The point I’m making is that you shouldn’t let this happen in the first place. It’s really important to choose www or not www for your site. Once you’ve done that, the problem will go away, and your site will get much better search results. :slight_smile:

The website must be in one version only with or without www to avoid confusions from the search engine. This two version of your website will affect your site’s reputation, and this issue should be fixed to avoid the worst scenario.

It doesn’t matter which of the two alternatives that you choose as long as you redirect one of them to the other so that all visits display the chosen alternative.

@felgall i am agree with you we have redirected non-www version to www . but @ralph can what i did wrong if we redirected non-www to www. if this is not the solution of the problem then how will to solve this ?