Site completely Broken in IE 9

Hello,

We have a client who’s website seems to be completely broken ONLY in IE 9. The site was originally crated from a template system and then another developer took the site OFF the template system and made it a static HTML site but still used most of the code from the template system. We cant go to the makers of the template system (FindLaw) and the original developer is gone.

Here is the URL:

http://www.opolaw-motorcycleaccident.com

Is this an easy fix? We had a guy recommend moving the entire site to wordpress. But if fixing this is simple I’d rather do that.

Thanks for any feedback!

Daniel

Easy fix? I don’t know. What surprises me is when you say it’s only IE9. What’s on that site is kinda mostly HTML, and then some other stuff that’s Idunnowhat.

</TemplateHeader>
<ContentHead>
</ContentHead>
<Content><p id="areaFocus">

That right there should NEVER be seen by the browser. I can only assume the other browsers are being all sweet and generous and ignoring tags they don’t recognise. IE technically won’t even add them to the DOM and really pretends hard that they’re not even there, but seeing those template-things leaking into the HTML tells me this might be something you’ll want to rewrite. Entirely. By someone who knows both template whatsits AND HTML.
There are also Conditional Comment divs being created, apparently just for IE’s 6 and 7… so how’s 8 doing? (I’m not on a machine with IE right now, Virtual Box installed fine but Windows is whining, so no Windows for now… sadpanda)

When you say “only IE9”… are you comparing to IE6, 7, 8, 10? or is IE9 the only IE you’re testing (are you saying “only IE is a problem, FF Chrome Safari and Opera are totally chill”?)?

I guess you have two options: someone could comb through the code and see if there’s just one, obvious cause of this issue in IE, and just leave the rest of the mess until some later time, OR get someone to just rewrite everything and have that person guarantee this new code works in everything from Lynx and IE6 up to the next decade of future browsers (should be possible, but I’m just referring to someone with a lot of front-end knowledge rather than someone with just enough to make a page look okay in Chrome).

Thanks for the Response. Yes when I say IE 9 ONLY it’s only happening in IE9. Looks fine everywhere else. Although I’m now also seeing javascript errors as well. But as far as the page layout goes yeah it’s only broken in IE 9. Perhaps IE 9 is NOT ignoring the template tags while the others are. Under normal circumstances, I’d have the guy who took it out of the template fix this, but he’s gone. Ok Thanks for your input. May just have to rebuild this. The real bad part that is is another site just like this but instead of motorcycles, it’s motor vehicles. Sucks to be me.

You make it sound like you won’t get paid to rebuild this. :shifty:

The page doesn’t look too bad overall. Perhaps just remove non-html like this

</TemplateHeader>
<ContentHead>
</ContentHead>
<Content>

and replace it with divs if need be.

The removal of the template tags solved the problem. Thanks for you help!