Sitepoint and learnable.com

What relationship does Sitepoint have to http://learnable.com ?

I just looked at my credit card statement and noticed learnable.com has been charging me $30 USA dollars a month, for what I have no idea. I certainly did not agree to this. I have no idea how they got my credit card number. They do seem to be associated with download links labelled as “free.” Buyer beware seems to have become “downloader beware.”

I cancelled that card and filed a fraud complaint. Be careful what you download. Relationships that require actually reading the fine print are seldom good ones, especially when the fine print varies from hints provided by larger, bolded text containing the word “free”

Sitepoint owns Learnable. Learnable is an online repository of courses/books that you can subscribe to through a monthly fee (as described at https://learnable.com/join). They also offer a 1 month free trial (after which it will charge 30 a month, as denoted at https://learnable.com/join/trial?utm_btn=top_banner&utm_via=topics).

cc: @HAWK ;

I don’t recall signing up for any free trial. Not knowingly. I’ll continue to use sitepoint forums for information. But my credit card number will never cross this domain name again. Perhaps the management can learn something from that reaction.

I have some vague memory of “purchasing” an ebook. If learnable.com attaches hidden subscriptions to what appears to be a simple one-time-only purchase, deceptive advertizing would be an understatement.

Buyer be very ware

Hi Sandy,
I’m sorry to hear that you’re unhappy.
You signed up in December last year (so most likely as part of our Xmas sale) for 1 month free trial and $29 per month after that.
We definitely never sign people up without their knowledge and there is nothing underhanded going on. If you get in touch with support@learnable.com they’ll take care of it for you.

I contacted support@learnable.com and they told me I was not entitled to a refund because it was my responsibility to read the fine print. I thought I was making a one time only ebook purchase, and ended up with a $30 USA dollars a month subscription charge I didn’t notice until last week. Free credit report dot com is the same. They lure you in with paragraphs making liberal use of the word “free” and then they tap your credit card when you’re not looking. Buyer beware. Seller be warez, it seems. I’m still willing to change my mind. But it will take a refund to make that happen.

Finally. I’d like to point out learnable.com is making sitepoint.com look bad too. I now have a sour taste in my mouth that likely will never go away. A business model based on deceptive advertising falls into a shady realm bordering the dark side of the internet. Some businesses you can trust. Costco would never fleece a customer like this. Learnable does. And did. And still are.

I posted the following at webutations.com. There appear to be dozens of such consumer complaint forums. I’ll keep working at this. I’ll do my best to put the following review on all of them.

Learnable.com sells instruction oriented ebooks that look like a one-time-only purchase price and download. If you don’t read the fine print you won’t notice you also signed up for a “thirty day free trial” for a subscription of some sort. At that point they already have your credit card number, so they start charging you approximately $30 USA dollars a month for the subscription you didn’t know about didn’t want and never used.

When you call they don’t answer the phone. I sent email. I did get a response to my email, which told me it was my responsibility to read the fine print. From a strictly legal point of view this may well be true. But this is not the kind of company I want to be associated with.

Be very careful with learnable.com and READ THE FINE PRINT. You’ll end up grinding your teeth if you don’t.

At this point I see no reason to separate learnable.com from sitepoint.com, as if they were different somehow. I realize now they are the same entity.

Sitepoint and learnable are starting to look like flat out fraud to me. At the FAQ page on learnable.com there is a link “how do I cancel my subscription” which tells you to click a link and scroll down to the “cancel” option. But no such option exists. Instead you see a form asking you to re-enter your credit card number (fat chance) plus a secondary option to “pause” your membership. Cancel as an option does not exist.

No need to spread lies, Cancel is definitely an option.

I think you’ve voiced your frustrations clearly enough now Sandy.
While I understand and appreciate that you feel hard done by, nothing illegal or fraudulent has taken place.

I am going to close this thread now because I believe it has run it’s course.