Sitepoint articles will not load in Firefox - JS error in ShareBar?

I thought I had posted about this a while back, but I can’t find the thread, so here goes again. I just upgraded from Firefox 4.01 to 6.0, and I still can’t load any Sitepoint articles. What happens when I try to load an article such as this one is that I get a partial load that seems to hang while loading the ShareBar that appears on the left-hand side of the page in other browsers. The attached image shows what it looks like, together with the Firebug window that shows a number of JS errors. I was getting one that said: “uncaught exception: Cannot continue until a pending callback completes” but that seems to be gone now. What is still there is what appears to be an incomplete AJAX call (I may be wrong about that - someone please correct me if so). Whatever it is, it has the “spinning” animation next to it, and never completes, thus the page never loads. I’ve put a red arrow next to the offending line in the screenshot.

I have tried 2 versions of Firefox (4.01 and 6.0), started both in safe mode, and I get the same behavior on every Sitepoint article, almost every time (once or twice it has surprised me and loaded, but very rarely). I am running on Windows 7, with JS enabled. This behavior is not exhibited in any other browser. Anyone have any ideas, or should I just switch back to Chrome?

Hey there,
My best advice would be to email bugs@sitepoint.com and the devs will look into it :slight_smile:

Thanks - that may be what I already did, rather than creating a forum post as I previously thought; however, I will try it again. They will probably throw it out as a “non-reproducible error” since I can’t even replicate it on other machines :frowning:

I’ve had the same problem, pretty much exactly as you’ve described it. I’m using Firefox 6.0.2. I’ve actually had the problem for a little while now, maybe two or three months…maybe longer…I just haven’t bothered to say/do anything until now. I’ve either refreshed a few times until it works or I give up on reading the article. I noticed the same thing with what looks like an incomplete AJAX call (though I’m not really a Javascript guy so I don’t know for sure). See the attached screenshot.

Looks like you’ve got the same problem, alright. I wish I could figure out what’s causing it. I did file a bug report with the site admins, as Sarah suggested, and I’ll follow up and let them know I’m not the only one. Personally, I’m getting rather tired of FF’s memory-hogging ways, and I may switch back to Chrome, now that they’ve started to put their printing house in order.

Hey again,
I’ve spoken with the devs on this and they can’t seem to replicate it.

• Mac running FF6.0 - Renders fine
  • Windows running FF5 - Renders fine
  • Windows running FF6.02 - Renders fine

I don’t know what to tell you!

That’s kinda what I figured - like I said, I can’t replicate it myself on other machines with the same OS and browser, on the same network! It’s really weird. One thing I have been able to confirm is that JS is at the root of the problem. I got an add-on (QuickJava) that provides a button to disable JS, and if I load the SitePoint articles sans JavaScript - voila! - there it is, no problem.

@themightystephen - you might want to try this as well