SitePoint Forums are the Best

It seems you’re not reading my posts or reading into to them what you want to read because that is not what I said at all.

I never said I won’t flag spam.

what I said is that I probably won’t flag spam if I know I will be logging off in say half an hour or so.

and that is because imho it is likely they will still be there when I log off. I don’t see my not reporting spam in this case as worse because seeing there is very little, if any, spam left behind in the 6 or so forums on this site I regularly stumble around in I know the mods will eventually delete them whether I report them or not. I’m not the only one flagging spam posts.

I rarely see just 1 or 2 spam posts appear. What I normally see is probably 5-10 in the space of 10 - 30 mins. During that time between opening a thread that has a new post listed which turns out to be spam, reading it and reporting it with a message, albeit I copy and paste the message into subsequent flags after the 1st one, I estimate I waste probably about 5-10 minutes or so which I could use to be doing something much more useful.

if I’m doing something more important at the same time as I open a thread after a new post is listed that turns out to be spam, I probably would not take the time to flag it if I expect to be logging off before the spam is likely to be deleted.

gee I hope you’re right :slight_smile:

I see :hohoho: is a registered member here.

next time I see him here I wanna ask him when am I gunna get that pony I always wanted :mad: :lol:

I can’t speak for the other Moderators, but I see my share of problem posts.

Trust me, I have a next to zero tolerance for SPAM and the amount of SPAM that gets reported is only roughly a third of the SPAM that gets posted. There are a couple of members (you know who you are) that spot new SPAM posts as fast as I do and more often than not it seems we both spot them at the same time. But not always. Reporting a potential problem helps ensure that it will come to a Moderators attention.

As for “it still being there”, it is not always that a Report has not been seen. There are many things that need to be considered and the Moderator evaluating the Report may not decide to take the same Action the member doing the Reporting thinks should be taken (i.e. removing the post) because of private information that is available to the Moderator but not the member.

In any case, Please Do Report SPAM.

If you feel that something is not being attended to in a reasonable amount of time, it just might be that Staff members are doing other things - we don’t come here to only hammer SPAM, there’s a lot going on.

One thing you can do in such cases, and especially if it’s a SPAM bot on a spree, is to check and see if I’m logged in eg. the “What’s Going On?” near the bottom of http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/ and http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumindex.php?

If I am logged in feel free to send me a PM http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=83449 telling me about it.

Haha you guys are funny. I mean it seems like people have personalities, I guess I have been here a while and maybe that’s just the case.

I actually thought the spam-prevention was really good, I rarely see it at all. Maybe once every 30 logins now.

Thanks. I’ll take that as a compliment. After all, I’m the only one doing the hard work :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew what you meant :slight_smile:

I was playing with the way you said it and not what you said.

I don’t doubt you have next to 0 tolerance of spam but I’m not convinced enough of your colleague moderators do.

After reporting spam, I still see moderators in “Who’s Online” moving from thread to thread replying to posts and some of the replies are even to me. I would have hoped looking through the reported spam posts would be more important to talking to lil’ ol’ me especially when the matter is not urgent.

As I said, there’s room of improvement. We do deal with spam as soon as we see it. When you report, an e-mail is sent to all moderators and team leader of that forum (each group of moderators has its own area to work with, although at the end we all clean wherever is needed, be it our area or not).
It also gets listed on a private forum, where we tick it as handled or not handled.

But in order to know that there’s a report

1. You need to check your e-mail at that moment or,
  2. You need to visit the report list

Personally, I’m not looking my e-mail every 5 mins. I have it scheduled to check for new e-mail every min.

I check the list once or twice a day… why don’t I do it more often? Well, I have work to do too :slight_smile: and I need to take care of my own formation and training, and I have other responsibilities as well.

Kalon, let’s leave those games for the playground; where they belong huh?

Spam will always be a major problem for any forum, even SP sadly. Until the day comes for a great solution to automaticlly detect spam posts/threads and delete them we all have to do our bit and report them. They will be deleted, just give us chance.

Myself and like many other mentors & mods don’t get paid if we did then fair enough, I’d pack my job in and work for SP full time, who wouldn’t. All we ask is to bare with us and thank you.

bear with us = have patience

bare with us = let’s get undressed together

lol :smiley:

[ot]

Like this? (:

hahaha priceless :rofl:

:rofl: Oh dear, it’s not my day! My self conscience must be telling me to go to bed for some sleep. :slight_smile:

Well at least I put a smile on your faces, and turned mine red. :blush:

Merry xmas :beer:

yep no problem :slight_smile:

we’re all busy and have other things to do and where reporting/deleting spam sits on members’ lists of priorities can vary greatly.

I’ll continue reporting spam if it doesn’t interfere with my doing “other things” and if I feel there is a high probability of it being deleted before I log off.

I know that if I report it or not, it will most likely be gone by the next time I log in anyway.

if you don’t have access to delete the post then instead of wasting my time with more fluff why not click that little orange flag, which we are all being encouraged to click, and report it as fluff (if you haven’t already done so) and let the moderators decide whether it should be deleted or not.

There are many similar types of posts all over the place by various members.

I’m happy to abide by whatever the mods. decide.

What the moderators say is that people are free to say whatever they choose as long as they’re respectful with others and considerate to their feelings.

That’s also indicates that you have to take constructive criticism when necessary, in the very same way that we all do.

Anthony’s comment is not fluff. He’s letting you know that your comment doesn’t feel quite right in his opinion. It is supposed to make you think, not to get you defensive.

yep, totally agree he is entitled to express his opnion just as I and everyone else is entitled to theirs.

I expressed my opinion in reply.

Kalon, please forgive me if this comes across as rude or tickles a nerve (that’s not the intention).

Please, think of people other than yourself.

From what you’ve been saying in this thread, your primary reason for not reporting a thread is that someone will deal with it eventually. That’s true, since the moderating staff here are good at what they do even if they’re not always the first to spot (and therefore remove) spam in every instance.

Kalon, even if you’re looking to log off soon and/or don’t see any moderators lurking around please report the spam anyway because the moderators will get around to it and the chances are (if this works the same as other forums I’ve moderated on) they will get around to it faster if there has been a report.

Whether you’ll be online when that happens, or not, should be irrelevant. Are you really so selfish of mind that reporting posts is primarily a call-to-action for the moderators to make your browsing a better experience?

I don’t see it as being selfish at all.

I have already been reminded that moderators are not at my beck and call and I have no issue with that at all.

But the flip side is that I am at no-one’s beck and call either, well not for free at least, and so I will continue to report spam, as I have already said I will, as long as it doesn’t interfere with whatever else I might be doing at the time and if I felt it is likely to be deleted before I log off.

Instead of trying to get me to drop whatever else I might be doing at the time just to report a spam post, which I believe will be eventually deleted anyway, would it not be better to try to convince those who choose to not report spam at all to at least start reporting spam?

I think the idea that someone else suggested earlier in this thread to have an award for members who report the most spam has some merit and should be considered. If not an award, then perhaps some other kind of incentive.