I went through a lot of the info from the search suggested and ended up going back to http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm. . Seeing as how it was the third item to come up, I decided to go back to there (since that slide show worked there) and figure out exactly what I was doing wrong.
My solution was to change dimensions for the images in this line:"dimensions: [151, 100], //width/height of gallery in pixels. Should reflect dimensions of largest image". The height I used for the images I created was 95px. The combination of those two values -- 95 and 100 -- seems to be working really well. (If anyone sees problems, please do let me know.) The other change I made was in the js file. All the "background:'black;" items, I changed from "black" to "transparent.