Smart Move by google

As someone who has owned an Android phone and an Apple phone I can say with some certainty that Android as a platform is miles better than the iPhone, and it shows in how quickly it has been adopted by users and why it is now the most popular mobile platform.

The only thing I can criticise Android on is the hardware of its manufacturers, the fragmentation of its versions and how some evangelical some of the members of its community can be. Thankfully, all of these things are getting better and I feel that within the next two years, especially with Google now owning Motorola Google will eclipse Apple in the mobile market.

When google was discussing the buy in a news conference the word “Patent” came up a dozen plus times. this buy is mostly about patents.

I saw a funny Tweet on this yesterday:

“Larry, you’ve asked to buy Motorola. It’s done.
-Which model?
-Model?!”

:lol::smiley:

OK that was funny . Imagine if you’d wake up one morning and someone just spent 12.5 billions out of your accounts buying a company you never wanted . I’d call it Passport 2 Hell since a heart attack is guaranteed :lol:

Anyway as far as mobile OSes go Android is the top gun AFAIK . Versatility will always be the key and Android has that in ample supply .

I think google will lauch their smart phone. That way google buy motorola…

This is what I’m waiting for, ad the person who quoted me in the previous post - I don’t like the Android software, I’ve had little experience with it and it’ll probably win me over in the future, haha, but until then I don’t like the look (but I shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover so I’ll give it a fair chance to impress me). Hopefully Google do make a Smart phone, I’ll be first in line to get it, if it’s any gooodle (hehe, lame I know) anyway.

im not sure, probably something to do with android and cloud? pretty interesting purchase though, very curious now

I think they are moving to the real world. From my knowledge this is the firs acquisition of a company that really produce real things.

In other Google news, they’re going to extend Street View to the Amazon River. Pretty cool.

I love this. If someone asked for a description of Google (honestly, I know, who would need one), you could say this as it’s accurate! Google is great, and very productive.

google want to add their business

Haha, tell me a business that doesn’t want to add more to their network. That’s just common sense, you try to add more to make more.

Wow, this thread turned into a fluff-fest pretty quickly. So many one-liners that I thought I was at a Jimmy Carr gig…

So, I think it’s pretty safe to say that Google pulled a patent-grab. With Microsoft aligned with Nokia and Apple frantically landing any patent they can I think it’s safe to say that it’s never been a better time to be a patent lawyer than now. Google are using Motorola to shield both Samsung and HTC and both are happy about the acquisition after Google stated that Motorola will be run as an entirely separate company.

However, given that Motorola was largely a company in trouble with declining sales and profits even after they jumped on the Android bandwagon I think that Google will step in eventually to clean things out and set them on their way. Even though as things go Motorola have barely even acknowledged their purchase on any of their press materials I can see Google advising Motorola and possibly using it as a way to push vanilla Android on a large number of phones in the near future. I doubt Google would want a failing phone manufacturer on its books when it’s trying to push a mobile OS.

Google is not trying to do anything! It’s just that it wants to enter this business field too and since it already has competitors Google is trying the best or probably the initiated moves.

Incorrect. How are Google trying to enter this field when Larry Page has already stated that this was a patent grab, and after they’ve stated that Motorola will be run as an entirely separate operation? All of this information has already been released, and the speculation is way way off on here!

Since we’re really speculating and it seems that this thread is attracting more fluff than it is desirable (although I confess that the amount of desirable fluff for me is 0), I’m closing the thread.

Sorry guys, we like a good debate… but on topic and saying something :wink: