Smartphone battery life span

I am sure majority of Sitepoint users owns a smartphone. May I know how often do you charge your smartphone’s battery? If you don’t mind, may share your mobile model also.

I just bought a LG P970. Initially I charge the battery 3 days once. Recently, I have downloaded some appplications including juice defender, which the function is to stop the applications when the phone is in screen saver. However, I still have to charge it daily. I didn’t switch on WiFi when not necesary, I neither subscribe to Data plan too, still the battery last only 1 day. I am curious what wrong with my mobile?

There’s nothing wrong with your mobile, most smartphones will only last a day per charge. I have an HTC desire which I charge every day. It can just about do two days at a stretch if I’m not using the web a lot, and the screen brightness is cranked down. I recently flashed it with cyanogenmod and wiped all apps which has improved things a bit. There are roms available for android that have various modifications including underclocking that improve battery life further, but all told it’s just best to get in the habit of plugging your phone in every night.

I have a Motorola Droid 2. At first, battery life was abysmal, so I started experimenting. Like EastCoast, I fiddled with the screen brightness (which I now leave on auto) and I also installed an “app killer” that nukes all the things that run automatically but which I never use. Also like EastCoast, a day between charges is common with moderate to heavy use, and two is doable if I limit my surfing, music listening, and angry birds playing.

That said, batteries for my phone are cheap, as are spare cords and a charger that charges the battery while it’s not in the phone. So I carry a “spare” with me that I can slap in if the one runs down, and then I can charge both at the end of the day.

i see. Thanks for sharing.

Do you think this is the pitfalls of smartphone? This is inconvenient if we are in emergency and the battery is flat. Well, for my phone, I just noticed that the phone has battery backup for few hours even though the battery is flat. I think I can use the phone to make emergency call within the period.

I tried to minimize the usage of mobile so that the battery can last longer. And, when charging the battery, it is advised to unplug when the battery is fully charged isn’t it?

Apologize my silly questions. I am really new in smartphone. This is my first smartphone :slight_smile:

I think that the main problem with smartphone batteries is that… well smartphones have to be designed so ultraslim and ultracapable at the same time (or general public just won’t buy them) that they are in constant deficit of space both for accumulator and for proper circuit to properly charge it. In theory manufacturers could externalize charging circuits, but in practice since EU now has requirement that all mobile phones use interchangeable chargers, manufacturers have to squeeze both exotic non-standard-accumulators and good-enough charging ICs that accept universaly standard charger.

That is the main engineering problem in my opinion.
Here is technical introduction to ins and outs of things involved with charging of modern LiPo accumulators:
EEVblog #176 – Lithium Ion/Polymer Battery Charging Tutorial @ EEVblog – The Electronics Engineering Video Blog

Although we know that theSamsung Galaxy S2 will come with a higher capacity battery, there has been no mention of how long the battery will last between charges. However, we can go ahead and make some assumptions here.

Bearing in mind that the bigger battery in the Samsung Galaxy S2 will have to support the dual-core processor and other performance enhancements, the gain in battery life might not be that substantial. However, we know that a huge factor in power drain is the display screen of a smartphone and for this, we understand that the Super AMOLED Plus display of the S2 is highly power-efficient, thus balancing out the equation.

All the same, it is unheard of that a battery for a high end smartphone can last an average user longer than a day and we anticipate that the battery life of Samsung Galaxy S2 will be similar to that of the iPhone.

Each phone has different types of batteries. Each of these batteries also have a different durability. However, battery life on average about 400 times recharging.

If you recharge the battery every night, your battery can last up to 12-15 months. However, if you can recharge your batteries twice a week, it means your battery life can reach 2-3 years. So, the less you do to recharge the battery, the longer is the life of the battery.

I’m using a Nokia N8 and Samsung Corby, I used therm alternately, so my charging interval is every other day. I charge my CP on this day, use the other one. :slight_smile:

It’s part of my routine to charge my iPhone every night. I can just about get 16 hours out of it, and then its pretty much dead. It is an old model though - the 3G.

More apps ask for more energy to drive, my HTC Desire has to change battery every two days, I just use it listen to music.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your mobile phone. I have a BlackBerry 9930 and i use it 24x7. There are some issues with the BB but it works for 2 days with 6 hrs approx talk-time. Try the following tricks for your phone :-

1. Try a Battery Pull

2. Try changing the battery to a newer one and see if the problem persists.

3. Burn the mobile phone in a Bonfire and enjoy the festivities. (Don’t try this one.)

I charge mine about every 3 days as I don’t really use it except for making calls and txting. I once heard someone say on tv that if your battery’s getting old, put it into the fridge for some time, take it and it will last longer. Never tried it myself though.

How possible to put into fridge? This must be a joke!
:rofl::lol::rofl::lol:

(Only just spotted this thread, haven’t looked in GC for a while!)

My Nokia 5230 can usually last up to a week on a full charge. I don’t use it a massive amount, a few short calls, a few texts, 10-15 minutes a day on the web, alarm clock every weekday morning (sometimes more than once! I don’t know whether to love or hate the snooze button…). That hasn’t really changed in the 9 months I’ve had it.

What really hammers the battery is having apps running in the background. Whether it’s the camera, web browser or anything else - you don’t have to be using it for it to be chomping electrons the way American cops chomp doughnuts. Close down any apps that you aren’t actually using.

I am having Galaxy ace and i have to charge it daily.

Nokia is the best brands in battery.

1. Don’t use applications like juice defender or any other task-killer. Unless some background app really is malfunctioning or misbehaving (in which case you should just remove the offending app), apps like juice defender will only cause your phone to be slower and less responsive, and use more battery. They are a lose-lose.

2. It is normal to have to charge a smartphone every night. Some of the better ones will survive if you skip a night, but it’s better (more reliable, and better for the battery) just to top it up each night if you can.

If you want your phone to last longer between charges, the best ways are:

1. Have the screen on less. That is, keep the phone in your pocket.

2. Make the screen dimmer, especially in daylight where the auto brightness would otherwise turn it right up.

3. Disconnect the phone from the mobile and/or wifi networks when they’re not needed. Try ‘airplane mode’.

As you can see, all these tips render the phone somewhat unusable. If you want to be able to use your phone normally, you just have to accept that it should be charged each night.

i am using huawei ideos x5 and needs to be charged daily

And somewhere I got the impression that the batteries in use nowadays can not be measured in charge cycles, but charge depths.

A battery discharged to 20% regularly will last about 1/5 as long as one discharged to 75% regularly. In theory one that is never discharged below 97% will last decades.

I’ll read the tute Aleksejs posted for us!

PS - my Motorola MB860 only lasts a day too.

I’ve got an xperia arc and its battery life is substantially lower than my old blackberry curve. i usually get about 1 day of solid use out of it, or 2 if i barely use it at all before the battery dies.