So… Apple news

So, there was some Apple news, I’m sure you’ve all heard about announcements by now.

What interests you (or not), the most? Personally TV tech has passed me by, but I am more intrigued by the new Apple TV style model as I’ve sported a generic Android TV for years that works really well for me. The convenience of having a console(lite) and TV in one is also appealing.

What are your thoughts?

PS. We will be having a developer focussed post next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought the iPad Pro being “more powerful than 80 per cent of laptops released in the last six months” was one of the more aggressively meaningless stats Apple has used in a while.

I also think the Apple TV is probably going to be the new Nintendo Wii, among other things, except it might stick around longer?

The pencil dealie is allegedly great, as is the new phone/watch color. The rest: ¯\(ツ)

Also, great shirts!

2 Likes

Aw, I was hoping they’d see the error in their ways making the phones so big. But no … :frowning:

2 Likes

Haven’t seen the whole thing. I was disappointed in what I did see.

None of the products are innovative anymore. They just recycle stuff, take over companies that are innovative and have developed something new, simply steal ideas or simply put better but still mediocre hardware in an existing device.

Apple is thriving software-wise though. I’m not a huge fan of Apple’s default applications, but it’s a quite complete set. That ‘3D touch’ isn’t new at all, but they’ve done very well implementing it in their applications.

Oh yeah, and then there’s the Apple TV. What’s new about that again? As TVs grow more advanced, Apple TV is growing obsolete. No one really needs it. It’s just a must-have amongst fanboys I suppose. But I have to admit, I never used it’s full potential.

Slightly provocative, I’m just going to mention “Samsung” and “Android.” In all seriousness, the whole smartphone/tablet industry is somewhat idle. Samsung Galaxy Edge, seriously? A bend screen so you can see notifications on the side of your phone. Didn’t we have LEDs for those? Although this is a somewhat innovative move, it’s rubbish, and they know it, because they released a ‘edge-less’ version as well. They’re basically admitting they’re just gambling, hoping to get something out of it.

I think I saw a promotional video of Samsung’s progress in bendable screens. Not ones that bend around corners, but genuinely bendable screens you can roll up. That would be a gamble, but much better than a damned bar for notifications.

No manufacturer is producing anything innovative, and you know what? That’s absolutely fine. Creating innovative things means taking huge leaps of faith. Something Steve Jobs was willing to do. Something not many others are willing to do. It takes a lot of guts.

What does annoy me is their marketing. The typical American marketing showing polished sci-fi 3D renders of how awesome their technology is. “The most advanced thing today. Huge leap forward.” A casing of a custom alloy used for spaceships. What? Why? To launch it into outer space? You know, that might not be a bad idea…

It just annoys me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I guess record profits will do that :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m an Apple fan, but even I was a bit disappointed with the lack of innovation. They are making the iPad bigger and more powerful but announce it as “the biggest announcement of iPad since iPad”? And $160 for a ‘smart keyboard’? Lol nope.

The 3D Touch looked like a welcome addition though. Live Photo was also pretty cool, but it’s basically just a GIF and I’m still confused about how it works. Like what if you want just the photo, not the 1.5 seconds before and 1.5 after you took the photo?

I’ve bought an Apple TV a few month ago when Apple announced the pricedrop and I’m happy with it, but I won’t buy the new Apple TV now. I actually just use my Apple TV for Netflix and Airplay, so the new one would be overkill. I wouldn’t play games on it anyway, I have gaming consoles for that :smiley:

Currently saving some money for an iMac though, would love to have one. Shame they didn’t talk about Mac, but guess that’s for November then.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.