Social Bookmarking and Directories are useless?

I recently gone through of some articles that are saying Social Bookmarking and Directories are useless.

Please let me know If I am wrong!

i dont think they are useless

just dont rely on them completely

A lot of people think that if they register website or blog in 2 directories and 1 bookmark - they will have 500 visits per day =)

In case of directories - always double check their alexa and PR since you don’t want to have low rank inbound links. It will not do good for you.

I don’t think so, dofollow social bookmarking sites and seo friendly directories are still effective for website

Good point! Articles/webpages/etc can be promoted through social bookmarks and directories. I usually do that when I do blog posting. Sometimes, I’d wait for some days before I bookmark, just to put intervals between backlinking activities.

No not really. Google still respects social bookmarking sites and directories. If they provide good quality. Google knows these sites are used to build back links in unnatural amounts that a normal site can get in a day. Not ranking them all is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. But they are not as potent as they used to be today.

That’s the key. Directories like Dmoz that hand-pick which sites they want to include, and reject any that they don’t think are good enough, are still valued by search engines. On the other hand, directories that accept any links that people throw at them have no quality control at all, and so all that tells the search engines is that here’s a site that is trying to promote itself … not useful at all.

How it is possible that social bookmarking & directories are useless, social bookmarking & directory submission is the main part of seo, it never be useless.

Maybe what you’re doing for SEO isn’t doing a lot of good…

I agree with Stevie Completely …Don’t Submit your Website to Low PR Directories because u will Zero result of that backlinks …try to Submit to High PR Directories of PR3 or 3+…you will definitely have some Benefit by that Backlink…this rules also Follow on Social Bookmarking Sites…!!

I think now a days SEO Expert focus on Content Marketing rather than Directory Submission or Social Bookmarking.

directories are useless, i dont believe in directories, social bookmarking play vital role for me.

Link building become very tough after Google’s Penguin & Panda updates. Link building technique & process have been simultaneously changed over the couple of years. Social bookmarking is probably the powerful techniques to draw of the community, friends and other enormous traffic sent to the website automatically. Most social bookmarking sites provide the back-links and helps in quick indexing of the the website. It is very important and useful for Search engine optimization, it not only bring the traffic and backlinks but it also make the content crawling.Directory submission is also helpful in generating back links. But we have to concern the backlinks are come to the relevant & good page rank sites.

Nowadays, Link building is not all about number of links; it’s all about number of quality links and especially after the release of penguin 2.0 update. Social bookmarking is one of the important link- building technique and one of the best ways to get fast indexed because crawler crawl’s bookmarks at much faster rate than any other. Directory submissions help a website in establishing a brand over the internet, but both social bookmarking and Directory should be done on highly relevant and quality sites with some proportion not in bulk.

Actually Social Bookmarking and Directories are not totally useless. But doing social bookmaking and directory submission in bulk or in low quality websites are useless. Always submit in high quality social bookmarking and directories websites. Also don’t just rely only on Social bookmarking and directory submission. Also use other seo techniques as articles, blog posts, forums, press release, guest post, videos to promote your website.

For me, social bookmarking is useless.
BUT Web directories are good and bring traffic.

The problem is that the traffic on them is pretty worthwhile.

Well, social bookmarking should not be your only strategy of promotion. If you post interesting, informative things - users will enjoy it. Just do not forget to do other SEO steps. Social bookmarking is a supportive feature, not a single solution for your promotion.

Social bookmarking and directories are not useless if they are good quality. But now there are tons of low quality directories etc, made overnight just for SEO. Those are indeed useless.

I would have to agree. Tons of gigs on Fiverr that will actually deliver such backlinks, and from my own personal experience, they offer little value in terms of helping your site rank.

Andy

No, social bookmarking and directories are not useless at all. If we submit our websites in some high pr websites than it will be more valuable than submitting in large number of low pr (0 and 1) social bookmarking and directories. You have research and verify before submitting your website to various social bookmarking and directory websites.