Splitting content from one field (6 paragraphs) in two

I need to divide the content from one field in my database(6 paragraphs) in two equal parts of three paragraphs. What would be the best way to that? I thought it was possible in my query but it seems not. Any advise would be more than welcome.

it ~is~ possible in the query, but you looked like you were about to run two separate queries, one for the first 3 paragraphs, and another for the rest

and that’s wasteful :slight_smile:

grab everything in one query, then break it up with coldfusion

in your other thread, you were using CHAR(13,10) as the paragraph marker, so i would try that with ListGetAt

<CFOUTPUT>
<p>#ListGetAt(queryname.content,1,CHAR(13,10),FALSE#</p> <!--- 1st paragraph --->
<p>#ListGetAt(queryname.content,2,CHAR(13,10),FALSE#</p> <!--- 2nd paragraph --->
<p>#ListGetAt(queryname.content,3,CHAR(13,10),FALSE#</p> <!--- 3rd paragraph --->
<p> ... other content ... </p>
<p>#ListGetAt(queryname.content,4,CHAR(13,10),FALSE#</p> <!--- 4th paragraph --->
<!--- etc. --->
</CFOUTPUT>

Hi Rudy, thank you for the responce. It looks like a good structure I only get the following error:

Invalid CFML construct found on line 14 at column 59.
ColdFusion was looking at the following text:

and then:

14 : <p>#ListGetAt(getContent.content,1,CHAR(13,10),FALSE#</p>
15 : <p>#ListGetAt(getContent.content,2,CHAR(13,10),FALSE#</p>
16 : <p>#ListGetAt(getContent.content,3,CHAR(13,10),FALSE#</p>

What could be the reason?

Thank you

looks like someone forgot the parentheses to close the function

:slight_smile:

Stupid, stupid, stupid, that I didn’t see that :frowning: Now on the other hand I get the error that Variable CHAR is undefined. ?

Sorry for my ignorance, but so far I never had to deal with something like this.

Thank you in advance.

you are learning rather quickly that i didn’t test my code, eh

(i have an excuse: my computer died last month, i had to buy a new one, and i still haven’t gotten around to installing coldfusion again – i absolutely ~hate~ installs, last time i spent days, literally days, trying to get the damned thing working, declaring the datasource or whatever you have to do to get it to talk to mysql… i am looking forward to that experience again just like you would look forward to having a root canal)

anyhow, replace CHAR(13,10) with CHR(13)&CHR(10)

Hi Rudy this seems to work indeed. Great stuff. I have one last question though. I try to understand the CHR(13)&CHR(10) since within my content I have some lists as well. I though by sticking those in a paragraph I could output them as well but that doesn’t seem to work? What should I do to count a list next to the paragraphs?

(i have an excuse: my computer died last month, i had to buy a new one, and i still haven’t gotten around to installing coldfusion again – i absolutely ~hate~ installs, last time i spent days, literally days, trying to get the damned thing working)

I know the feeling. I had the same thing last month. What a disaster. You loose so much time :frowning:

i have no idea what your content actually looks like, aside from the fact that i know you’re using carriage return and line feed to delimit your paragraphs

if your content is more complicated than that, i’m sorry, i think that would be a new thread

Thank you Rudy. I will give this some more thought, before I come back to this. Anyway thank you again.