SQL Syntax error... I Cant seem to debug this

Hi All, I am writing a script to enter values into a database and i keep getting the following error:

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-con-fname, pri-con-lname, pri-con-mi, pri-con-pphone, pri-con-pphone-ext, pri-c' at line 1
<?php
session_start();
$con = mysql_connect($_SESSION['dbhost'],$_SESSION['dbuser'],$_SESSION['dbpass']);
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("c2_dj", $con);
///===PRIMARY CONTACT===///
$sqlpri="INSERT INTO events (pri-con-fname, pri-con-lname, pri-con-mi, pri-con-pphone, pri-con-pphone-ext, pri-con-sphone, pri-con-sphone-ext, pri-con-pemail, pri-con-semail, pri-con-hrs)
VALUES
('$_POST[priconfname]', '$_POST[priconlname]', '$_POST[priconmi]', '$_POST[priconpphone]', '$_POST[priconpphext]', '$_POST[priconsphone]', '$_POST[priconsphext]', '$_POST[priconpemail]', '$_POST[priconsemail]', '$_POST[priconhrs1]')";
///===SECONDARY CONTACT===///
$sqlsec="INSERT INTO events (sec-con-lname, sec-con-mi, sec-con-pphone, sec-con-pphone-ext, sec-con-sphone, sec-con-sphone-ext, sec-con-pemail, sec-con-semail, sec-con-hrs)
VALUES
('$_POST[secconfname]', '$_POST[secconlname]', '$_POST[secconmi]', '$_POST[secconpph]', '$_POST[secconpphext]', '$_POST[secconsph]', '$_POST[secconsphext]', '$_POST[secconpemail]', '$_POST[secconsemail]', '$_POST[secconhrs1]')";
///===LOCATION INFO===///
$sqlloc="INSERT INTO events (loc-address, loc-aptunit, loc-town, loc-state, loc-zip, loc-rm-width, loc-rm-length, loc-rm-height, loc-rm-wall, loc-rm-ceiling)
VALUES
('$_POST[locaddress]', '$_POST[locaptunit]', '$_POST[loctown]', '$_POST[locstate]', '$_POST[loczip]', '$_POST[locwidth]', '$_POST[loclength]', '$_POST[locheight]', '$_POST[locwalls]', '$_POST[locceiling]')";
///===EVENT INFO===///
$sqleve="INSERT INTO events (event-theme, event-type, event-attend, event-marketing, event-pep)
VALUES
('$_POST[eventtheme]', '$_POST[eventtype]', '$_POST[eventattendees]', '$_POST[eventmarketing]', '$_POST[eventpep]')";
///===MUSIC INFO===///
$sqlmxk="INSERT INTO events (music-pgenre, music-sgenre, music-clean)
VALUES
('$_POST[musicpgenre]', '$_POST[musicsgenre]', '$_POST[musiclean]')";
///===LIGHT INFO===///
$sqllit="INSERT INTO events (light-scheme, light-list, light-fog, light-fog-pref)
VALUES
('$_POST[lightscheme]', '$_POST[lightlist]', '$_POST[fog]', '$_POST[fogpref]')";
///===SOUND & MISC INFO===///
$sqlsou="INSERT INTO events (sound-scheme, sound-mic, marketing-allowed)
VALUES
('$_POST[soundscheme]', '$_POST[mic]', '$_POST[marketingallowed]')";
///==========================================================================================///
if ((mysql_query($sqlpri,$con)) && mysql_query($sqlsec,$con) && mysql_query($sqlloc,$con) && mysql_query($sqleve,$con) && mysql_query($sqlmxk,$con) && mysql_query($sqllit,$con) && mysql_query($sqlsou,$con))
{
echo "<html><center><br><br><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>1 record added";
header("location:./new.event.php");
	}
  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
/// $sqlsec,$sqlloc,$sqleve,$sqlmxk,$sqllit,$sqlsou,$con))
///header('./new.event.php');
mysql_close($con)
?> 

I Am Using PHP5 on ubuntu server 10.10. with apache 2 7 MySQL

I Cant seem to figure this one out. Any ideas???

Thanks,
JL Griffin

Perhaps the database doesn’t like your hyphens. Try enclosing your column names in backquotes: pri-con-fname

no “perhaps” about it :smiley:

A curiosity: why do you insert the data for different columns in different insert statements? This way you’ll get multiple lines, each with just some columns valorized. Why do you do it that way?
How do you know what rows contain the data of one event?

Ahh… yeah, I had all the statements one one line originally. The problem was that I kept get ing errors like

error unexpected ' on line13. Unexpected ] on line13  Unexpected ( on line13.

And with such a long line13 it was near impossible to figure out where the errors were so I split it up. After I get it all debugged I’m going to put it all back into one statement.

PHP sure as hell doesn’t like hyphens does it. I had to rename all my form variables to not have a hyphen in them because it wouldn’t accept a post variable with a hyphen.

OK thanks. I’ll do that

You can

$sql = "Start a 
query and then
keep pushing
enter until
you reach the end";

Cool I will do that that makes way more sense than the way I did it. Lol a noob mistake. Lol

Thank you. That will save me about of time in the future.

Sorry everyone by the way. I forgot to tell you That I won’t be around my computer until later. That’s why I didn’t post if it worked off not.

Lol.I have been reading And responding via my phone. I’ll let you know asap.

JL Griffin

Ok That one fix worked. but now i am getting a seperate error.

in my original code i posted onece i inserted these " ` " it seemed to work, but it would only execute the query $sqlpri so i put it all back on one line and tell me that i couldnt use the && in my if ststement because it was only expecting 2 values. so i put all the stuff back onto one query and now i get this.

Error: Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

Please help. Here is my new code:

<?php
session_start();
$con = mysql_connect($_SESSION['dbhost'],$_SESSION['dbuser'],$_SESSION['dbpass']);
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("c2_dj", $con);
///===PRIMARY CONTACT===///
$sql="INSERT INTO events (`pri-con-fname`, `pri-con-lname`, `pri-con-mi`, `pri-con-pphone`, `pri-con-pphone-ext`, `pri-con-sphone`, `pri-con-sphone-ext`, `pri-con-pemail`, `pri-con-semail`, `pri-con-hrs`, `sec-con-lname`, `sec-con-mi`, `sec-con-pphone`, `sec-con-pphone-ext`, `sec-con-sphone`, `sec-con-sphone-ext`, `sec-con-pemail`, `sec-con-semail`, `sec-con-hrs`, `loc-address`, `loc-aptunit`, `loc-town`, `loc-state`, `loc-zip`, `loc-rm-width`, `loc-rm-length`, `loc-rm-height`, `loc-rm-wall`, `loc-rm-ceiling`, `event-theme`, `event-type`, `event-attend`, `event-marketing`, `event-pep`, `music-pgenre`, `music-sgenre`, `music-clean`, `light-scheme`, `light-list`, `light-fog`, `light-fog-pref`, `sound-scheme`, `sound-mic`, `marketing-allowed`)
VALUES
('$_POST[priconfname]', '$_POST[priconlname]', '$_POST[priconmi]', '$_POST[priconpphone]', '$_POST[priconpphext]', '$_POST[priconsphone]', '$_POST[priconsphext]', '$_POST[priconpemail]', '$_POST[priconsemail]', '$_POST[priconhrs1]', '$_POST[secconfname]', '$_POST[secconlname]', '$_POST[secconmi]', '$_POST[secconpph]', '$_POST[secconpphext]', '$_POST[secconsph]', '$_POST[secconsphext]', '$_POST[secconpemail]', '$_POST[secconsemail]', '$_POST[secconhrs1]', '$_POST[locaddress]', '$_POST[locaptunit]', '$_POST[loctown]', '$_POST[locstate]', '$_POST[loczip]', '$_POST[locwidth]', '$_POST[loclength]', '$_POST[locheight]', '$_POST[locwalls]', '$_POST[locceiling]', '$_POST[locaddress]', '$_POST[locaptunit]', '$_POST[loctown]', '$_POST[locstate]', '$_POST[loczip]', '$_POST[locwidth]', '$_POST[loclength]', '$_POST[locheight]', '$_POST[locwalls]', '$_POST[locceiling]', '$_POST[eventtheme]', '$_POST[eventtype]', '$_POST[eventattendees]', '$_POST[eventmarketing]', '$_POST[eventpep]', '$_POST[musicpgenre]', '$_POST[musicsgenre]', '$_POST[musiclean]', '$_POST[lightscheme]', '$_POST[lightlist]', '$_POST[fog]', '$_POST[fogpref]', '$_POST[soundscheme]', '$_POST[mic]', '$_POST[marketingallowed]')";
///==========================================================================================///
if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
{
  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
}
echo "&lt;html&gt;&lt;center&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;1 record added";
mysql_close($con)
?&gt; 

you’ve definitely messed up your column counts

sometimes it helps to copy/paste them side by each –

INSERT                                                           
  INTO events                 VALUES                             
     ( `pri-con-fname`             ( '$_POST[priconfname]'       
     , `pri-con-lname`             , '$_POST[priconlname]'       
     , `pri-con-mi`                , '$_POST[priconmi]'          
     , `pri-con-pphone`            , '$_POST[priconpphone]'      
     , `pri-con-pphone-ext`        , '$_POST[priconpphext]'      
     , `pri-con-sphone`            , '$_POST[priconsphone]'      
     , `pri-con-sphone-ext`        , '$_POST[priconsphext]'      
     , `pri-con-pemail`            , '$_POST[priconpemail]'      
     , `pri-con-semail`            , '$_POST[priconsemail]'      
     , `pri-con-hrs`               , '$_POST[priconhrs1]'        
     , `sec-con-lname`             , '$_POST[secconfname]'       
     , `sec-con-mi`                , '$_POST[secconlname]'       
     , `sec-con-pphone`            , '$_POST[secconmi]'          
     , `sec-con-pphone-ext`        , '$_POST[secconpph]'         
     , `sec-con-sphone`            , '$_POST[secconpphext]'      
     , `sec-con-sphone-ext`        , '$_POST[secconsph]'         
     , `sec-con-pemail`            , '$_POST[secconsphext]'      
     , `sec-con-semail`            , '$_POST[secconpemail]'      
     , `sec-con-hrs`               , '$_POST[secconsemail]'      
     , `loc-address`               , '$_POST[secconhrs1]'        
     , `loc-aptunit`               , '$_POST[locaddress]'        
     , `loc-town`                  , '$_POST[locaptunit]'        
     , `loc-state`                 , '$_POST[loctown]'           
     , `loc-zip`                   , '$_POST[locstate]'          
     , `loc-rm-width`              , '$_POST[loczip]'            
     , `loc-rm-length`             , '$_POST[locwidth]'          
     , `loc-rm-height`             , '$_POST[loclength]'         
     , `loc-rm-wall`               , '$_POST[locheight]'         
     , `loc-rm-ceiling`            , '$_POST[locwalls]'          
     , `event-theme`               , '$_POST[locceiling]'        
     , `event-type`                , '$_POST[locaddress]'        
     , `event-attend`              , '$_POST[locaptunit]'        
     , `event-marketing`           , '$_POST[loctown]'           
     , `event-pep`                 , '$_POST[locstate]'          
     , `music-pgenre`              , '$_POST[loczip]'            
     , `music-sgenre`              , '$_POST[locwidth]'          
     , `music-clean`               , '$_POST[loclength]'         
     , `light-scheme`              , '$_POST[locheight]'         
     , `light-list`                , '$_POST[locwalls]'          
     , `light-fog`                 , '$_POST[locceiling]'        
     , `light-fog-pref`            , '$_POST[eventtheme]'        
     , `sound-scheme`              , '$_POST[eventtype]'         
     , `sound-mic`                 , '$_POST[eventattendees]'    
     , `marketing-allowed` )       , '$_POST[eventmarketing]'    
                                   , '$_POST[eventpep]'          
                                   , '$_POST[musicpgenre]'       
                                   , '$_POST[musicsgenre]'       
                                   , '$_POST[musiclean]'         
                                   , '$_POST[lightscheme]'       
                                   , '$_POST[lightlist]'         
                                   , '$_POST[fog]'               
                                   , '$_POST[fogpref]'           
                                   , '$_POST[soundscheme]'       
                                   , '$_POST[mic]'               
                                   , '$_POST[marketingallowed]') 

can you see better now why there’s a mismatch?

You have 44 field names, and 55 $_POST variables.

What appears to be unmatched:
$_POST[‘secconfname’]

You appear to have put the $_POST[‘locXXXXX’] entries twice, which accounts for the remaining offset.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! it finally displayed the “1 record added” !!

Thank you everyone for your help!

:slight_smile:

:lol: As to why this is so for eveyone else (I know r937 knows this) – Hyphens are interpreted as minus signs. SQL thinks you want the value of field “pri” minus value of field “con” minus the value of field “fname”

Simple solution - never use hyphens in field or table names. Neither PHP nor SQL like it when you do. But as a short term solution backticks will get it in there.

Cool. that does make alot of sense. thank you. one of the most annoying things about programming is when you have to do something and have no idea why or the logic behind it. i really appreciate the explanation.

thanks again
-JL Griffin