SqlDataSource / LINQ to SQL to DataSet

Hi Everyone,

I have looked at a number of threads from various sites with similar problems. However, any code posted as a solution I have not been able to get working in the context of my Web App.

I’m having trouble taking a query, whether it be via LINQ to SQL or SqlDataSource and then passing/converting it to a DataSet.

The reason it goes to a DataSet is because I have also taken an example of a paging Repeater that uses DataSet but reads an XML. Implementing it would cut down on loading time as there’ll be a lot of records in the Repeater thus makes it easier for the end-user.

I’m completely baffled on this, my last attempt, in the code below, I try taking the results from a SQL Query and creating an XML from the them, to which the DataSet.ReadXML() method can read, this is a long inefficient way to do it and even so, it doesnt work at that.

My preferred way would be to take the results from a ‘Guestbook.GetModerated()’ method I have ready via LINQ to SQL which returns results in the form of a Generic list and pass that through etc. …something like DataSet items = Guestbook.GetModerated();
That returns a error stating it cannot convert Generic List to DataSet and I dont know how to convert it :frowning:

Any help is much appreciated.

public void ItemsGet()
    {
        DataSet Items = new DataSet();

string ConnectionString = @"Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\\BookingSys.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True";
        string QueryString = "SELECT * FROM [tbl_Guestbook] WHERE Moderated = 1 ORDER BY GuestbookID DESC for XML PATH";

SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(ConnectionString);
        SqlDataSource SqlDataSource = new SqlDataSource();

con.Open();
        using (con)
        {
            SqlCommand cmd = con.CreateCommand();
            cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM [tbl_Guestbook] WHERE Moderated = 1 ORDER BY GuestbookID DESC for XML PATH";
            XmlReader r = cmd.ExecuteXmlReader();
            XmlWriterSettings settings = new XmlWriterSettings();
            settings.Indent = true;
            XmlWriter w = XmlWriter.Create(@"\\Temp\\gkInfoModerated.xml", settings);
            using (w)
            {
                w.WriteStartElement("root");
                while (!r.EOF)
                {
                    w.WriteNode(r, true);
                }
                w.WriteEndElement();
            }
        }

SqlDataSource.ConnectionString = ConnectionString;
        SqlDataSource.SelectCommand = QueryString;

Items.ReadXml(MapPath(@"\\Temp\\gkInfoModerated.xml"));

// Populate the repeater control with the Items DataSet
        PagedDataSource objPds = new PagedDataSource();
        objPds.DataSource = Items.Tables[0].DefaultView;
        objPds.AllowPaging = true;
        objPds.PageSize = 10;

objPds.CurrentPageIndex = CurrentPage;

lblCurrentPage.Text = "Page: " + (CurrentPage + 1).ToString() + " of "
            + objPds.PageCount.ToString();

// Disable Prev or Next buttons if necessary
        cmdPrev.Enabled = !objPds.IsFirstPage;
        cmdNext.Enabled = !objPds.IsLastPage;

rptGuestbookView.DataSource = objPds;
        rptGuestbookView.DataBind();
    }

Regards,

Daniel :slight_smile:

You are most likely going to have to write an extension method. There is one in System.Data.DataSetExtensions, but it only works with IEnumerable<DataRow>. If generic T is anything else, the method won’t show. Take a look at this blog for a better explanation of how to do this.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aconrad/archive/2007/09/07/science-project.aspx