Ssl for ecommerce

i am new to website development. i need guidance on ssl which one to use for a open cart ecommerce .

Hi, i think Verisign is the most trusted but rather expensive.
http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=compare-ssl-certificates
VS will do a full verification of your details and have a full root certificate support - all major browsers.

You must generate the request from your server and submit the key to their site - make sure your server is properly configured like domain / DNS , etc

Hi

You can use any, they all technically do the same job but you want to instill a level of trust within your customers. Any EV certificate will give you the ‘Green Bar’ that you see on most major online retailers and banks. It has been proven to increase conversions, we saw it on our site, the number of conversions increased when we deployed an EV cert.

Whichever one you decide on you will always get better pricing by not going to the CA directly.

Oh and to use an SSL cert you will need a dedicated IP address.

There are several types of SSL Certificates and you need to install proper Certificate for your eCommerce website. I would like to share one article explaining about the same and it’ll surely help you to choose proper SSL for your eCommerce.

The graphic is completely wrong IMHO.

You are suggesting users who have just launched a small e-commerce website, probably new and unknown, use a domain validated SSL123. You are then suggesting that a Mature “Huge Traffic” website use an EV (Green Address Bar) certificate.

The new start-up business is likely getting low traffic so it needs to ensure it converts that traffic as best it can. To do that it needs to get instant trust from visitors. Displaying a Green Address Bar with an EV certificate is going to help that. Installing a cheap cert is better than nothing but it isn’t going to boost conversions as much as an EV.

The Huge Traffic mature website already has an existing customer base who are likely to be less concerned with the validity of the company because it has been around for years. In which case all that is really needed is the encryption provided by a Domain validated certificate. However they are still looking to boost conversions and will want to appear as the “most secure option” to visitors so will probably go EV anyway.

Technically the encryption between a Domain Validated SSL and an Extended Validated SSL is the same. If I am talking to anyone who has an E-commerce site the only certificate I recommend is an EV. They can be had for under $150.00 a year and will more than pay for themselves. The question then is a discussion around which brand suits the business best and provides what is required.

Thank you for your reply Andy,

It is completely depends on eCommerce vendor at what exact they want to invest in SSL certificate. The Info-graphic we shared is mainly focuses on product by considering their cost and brand.

Frankly speaking, a person visiting website is hardly aware of main different between EV or other types of SSL. They mainly focuses on security and this what we suggest based on traffic.

For eCommerce start-up with limited resource it’ll be easier to get SSL123 as compare to EV. When security is concern low budget certificate can also play same role.

Still, everyone has their own views…

I do agree with clickssl, as being a website owner and startup, initially I will be focusing on security only rather than going for high value ssl. I found that most of the users will check whether my website enabled with ssl or not. It hardly matter which ssl product I am using.

I am also agree with you andy. ev ssl is best encryption way with highly authentication but each business owners could not effort that at initial stage of their business. ssl123 & ev both pass same the level encryption but only difference between the price.

Thank you for sharing that infographic.

Hi All

I actually disagree that consumers aren’t aware about which SSL cert is being used. They may be registering it subconsciously but research has shown that people react well to the green bar and conversions are increased. People are used to seeing it now, especially as online banking has exploded:

Taken from http://www.verisign.co.uk/static/EV_DataSheet_UK.pdf

In January 2007, Tec-Ed researched usage and attitudes of 384 online shoppers and measured their responses to Web sites with and without green bars:

• 100% of participants notice whether or not a site shows the green EV bar
  • 93% of participants prefer to shop on sites that show the green bar
  • 97% are likely to share their credit card information on sites with the green EV bar, as opposed to only 63% with non-EV sites
  • 77% of participants report that they would hesitate to shop at a site that previously showed the green EV bar and no longer does so

If you forget the functionality of the type of cert to begin with. The lower end certs technically do more or less the same job as the more expensive certs. The thing to look at here is building trust.

As mentioned, pretty much anyone can get say a RapidSSL cert, if you purchase an EV then they for a starters cost more and the verification process checks that the business is legitimate (they check contacts, VAT numbers etc.). Both of these are likely to indicate that the owner is in it for the long haul as they have made a much bigger outlay in the first instance and have gone to the effort of creating a genuine business, it tells the customer that they are much more likely to be around in say a year and not gone tomorrow. The cheaper certs are adequate for many things but particularly if you are looking for someone to trust you with their bank details then I would suggest an EV cert, especially for a new business.

Welcome to SitePoint Kevi.Pau!

Sorry forgot my manners in the last post