Standard size of a website

HI

I forgot what the standard size of website was… is it 780 x 600 or 760 x 480
Thanks
Melissa

i always use 779 for the width because of the scroll bars…
for the height, you can start in the 400’s range, but make sure your design can strech downwards (tablewise) when you have more content.

Check here to learn about the safe sizes for various browsers and resolutions.

Ok thats link was useful for me too … Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Melissa,

Whatever size you audience uses. :slight_smile:

I would recommend 800xdoesn’t matter it can stretch but otherwise 450. You can go bigger, and if there is smaller browser windows just make sure you include this in a css stylesheet:
body { overflow-x: hidden; }
HTMLGuy

for narrow center aligned pages use 752 for the mail content rest use for shadow effect :slight_smile:

if no shadow effect 779 px almost suite all need.
you might consider spending some time in learing CSS fluid layout technique. It fits itself with the size of the browser window :slight_smile:

i use allways arround 900 px

I personally prefer liquid layouts. You can’t size your site perfectly for EVERY user out there, but you can get a very good generalization with some trial and error. YMMV, of course.

780 is good. Just try it out and see how it looks in different browsers. Find something you like and run with it

I like 750px, 500px for content and 250px for sidebar

i’d prefer 780 px. so it can be displayed correctly over monitor with 800x600 & 1024 x 768 resolution.

just forget the 3% user using other resolution.

Or you could run the shadow along the <body> which wouldn’t cause scrolling and give you more room for content. :slight_smile:

you are assuming that the site visitor will be quite happy to maximize her browser window

that’s an incorrect assumption

Regarding liquid layout - there’s a minimum width it can work in, isn’t it?
Even with the liquid one, there are some elements that define this minimum width - for example images (header).
So there’s a certain base width you have in mind when designing your liquid page (even if you don’t think about it like that :wink: ).

Well, of course there will always be a minimum width, even if you don’t use any imagery or fixed-width elements in the layout. The longest single word would then define the minimum width. :wink:

I agree that there should always be a target user-base in mind, but you can still cater for the granny visitors. These two are decent examples:

And last of all, a little horizontal scrolling, while possibly uncomfortable, is not the end of the world, nor does necessarily “exclude” anyone. The content’s still all there, it’s just a little harder to consume.

I’ve seen a trend lately that I really like and have used w. client sites…

You fit the content of the site so that anyone viewing with 800x600 res will see all of it, but provide and extra column to the right of it for ads or other supplemental items.

WashingtonPost.com does this very well. people w. 800x600 res will have to scroll to the right to view but for everyone else the layout fits perfectly on the screen. it allows for much more content,etc on a page

I personally hate coding or designing for 800x600 but still do it.

One of my bigger regrets with my sites is that I made them fixed width and the width is smaller than what suits my needs these days. Originally it seemed perfect but as we added more and more content and features I’ve had a hard time making room for everything… kind of painted myself into a corner, so to speak

what you mean ? people run your IE/Mozilla Windows with half size ?
I think most of them will maximize their browsers.

I am right or not ? anybody has any opinion ?

only few people has more than 17" screen…

i think the operative word in that sentence is “hope” :wink:

Are those dimensions in pixles in an html dreamweaver format?
Thanks.