Start learning HTML5 and CSS3

I’d say wait ten years then learn html 5, as by then IE13 will start implementing a small part of it.

Remember your html 4 knowledge will still enable you to produce a working web page 10 - 50 years from now, IF you use a doctype that says it’s html 4.

…Or even if you just use <!DOCTYPE html>, which works for all flavors of HTML, apparently.

I have tested some html code from this url http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work in the latest version Firefox. But not working. Am not able to see the proper output in this latest version Firefox browser.
Is it currently in R&D?:(:

If it just says “recommendation” then the standard is finished ready for browsers to implement. That doesn’t mean that they have necessarily done so yet.

If it says anything else then it is still a work in progress. Those that say “Working Draft” are a long way from completion. Those that say “Proposed Recommendation” are close to completion.

Excuse my ignorance but why does it take so long to implement a language like HTML or CSS (years)?

An old thread but it does highlight the fact of the slow implementation progress.

My 2 cents is that the goal posts are continually changing and the “committee” is seeking perfection.

Almost

Recently WHATWG announced that they’re removing the “5” from HTML5, so HTML (in the eyes of WHATWG) will now be a living standard with no drafts or call for comments

W3C will still have snapsnots

Yes, go ahead! This language makes working with HTML easier, because it has new features.
For example, I saw today in w3schools, that they have date input types, i.e. “input” elements can have “date” or “month” or “year” etc. for type.
Oh, and one more thing: the attribute “target” of the form element is no longer deprecated.:slight_smile:

Thank you all for your comments!

a lot of developer help-wanted ads and job descriptions are asking for folks who know HTML5 these days, probably b/c of mobile devices, so I think it’s actually a very good time now to learn HTML5… my two cents…

Well, firstly it’s complex to get it right, and a lot of people want to have their say, so there’s a lot of negotiation, and there has to be a lot of testing … and then there’s no onus on browser makers to implement the new language features, so that takes extra time too, if they ever get around to it. Sigh …