Starting a new business?

So I just graduated a few months ago with my IT degree and web design. There are no job around this area at all, and I really don’t want to move at this point.

So I was thinking about starting my own business, at least something small on the side to make a little cash right now.

I was wondering how I should start… Should I start by just make several templates and selling those, and offering customizations to them? Then I can take custom design requests, and other things at a later time.

I’ve tried something similar before but I have no idea how to get people to come to my website. I had a website up for almost a year before and it didn’t get any visitors the entire time.

I can’t afford to pay for advertising.

I guess I’m just not sure where I should go from here…

Where in the world are you located?

Personally, I live in the sticks out here in TX, USA, and I do a lot of craigslisting for metro areas near me-- this has been kind of mixed, but I’ve been able to make a living off those connections.

Of course, I already had a sizable portfolio of work and experience…

I live in Wisconsin. There is nothing here but corn. And because of the unemployment rate and Scott Walker there isn’t much left around. I also live in an area where over 5,000 people were laid off because of General Motors going bankrupt.

I already own a domain name that I’ve had for about 10 years but never developed. I think I will start by making some articles and a few basic templates so that I can get some content on the domain.

Guess I just wasn’t sure how you all got started. Once you decided to go freelance, what did you do first? How did you get your first customers? What kind of legal stuff do I need to know…? I hear people talk about contacts all the time.

On top of all that, I have no idea what I should be charging for prices, I don’t know what a fair price would be for both me and the client and how to calculate something like that.

Guess I have a lot of thinking to do… I wasn’t planing on going into business for myself, and I’m still not, but I would like to start bringing in some money some how since I can’t find any jobs right now.

With me, I didn’t start doing freelance work and then got clients, I had clients and quit my website production job I had with a small company.

I don’t know what you have to offer, what it is worth, or how you should sell it.

What do you do that people pay money for? Who is making the websites for the small businesses in your area? What are they charging? Have you called all the places around you who do the things that you do looking for work? Just because folks don’t have a sign out in front or a classified ad doesn’t mean that they have no work for you.

As for me, I do a bunch of things that people need: I take pictures, can create good-looking wordpress themes, edit radio ads… and I have a bunch of folks who know who I am who call me to do these things. Those people didn’t find me: I gave them my card or contacted them through craigslist, or I met them through friends. I charge a rate based on what the project is worth to me; I don’t care what other folks charge, just how much I need to make off a project to make it worth my while. I don’t ususally deal with legal stuff: at this point, I can’t afford to hire a lawyer and I don’t do things that cause me to hold substantial liabilities.

I have no idea what a domain name and some content would do for you, as far as a business. I get no business from my personal website; I have it up just to have something rather than nothing…

Well the 1st thing you could do is utilize that 10 year old domain and get that site up and running as you have web design knowledge it would be just like riding a bike for you,then once that site is up and running and that starts earning revenue you can either design sites for other people or the option i would take would be build up a portfolio of sites across a wide spectrum.
As you have mentioned you have no chance of getting a job in your current location you either move to find a job or use cyberspace and bring clients or customers to you.
Thats the beauty of cyberspace it brings people and business closer together.

Good luck with what ever you chose

If I’m going to be making some articles, or going into a business for myself, how can I stay on top of everything that is changing? Things change in the computer world very fast and if I’m not an employee at a large corporation how will I keep up with all this?

Is there some type of generic newsletter or something I can subscribe to that will always keep me up to date with the latest technologies that are coming out?

I don’t want people coming to me and asking for a cloud or silverlight website and I have no idea what that means.

There must be some type of resource that freelancers can use to make sure they are up to speed on everything going on.

There’re many sites that bring the news: smashing magazine, net magazine, sitepoint :slight_smile:

Starting a new business is a great idea but at the same time it is important to note that before starting any new business it is necessary to decide how much asset will be their.One should make proper planning to start it’s own venture.

This thread is old and needed no further answers although we do appreciate the interest. Thread closed.