Starting a social media website; where to begin?

Hello!

I want to start a new business soon. My vision is to make it look something like the couchsurfing website, however I do want to change a few things. My question is, as somebody who just started learning programming (in C) and basically has 0 knowledge about webdevelopment. Where do I begin?
More specifically;

What programming language(s) should I use?
Should I outsource it?
How and where do I store all the information users generate?
What would be the timescale and costs for such a project?
Can I use Templates?
What languages should I learn PHP, Ruby or javascript? And where can I study them (codeacademy, udemy, other opencourseware?)
Any good other resources I should study before starting this endeavour?

I know that a website such as couchsurfing has an army of programmers working 24/7 to help keep everything up to date. I don’t expect to start at the top, but it is my end goal so I want to start moving toward it as soon as possible!

Thank you for any information!

Kind regards,

Riaan

What programming language(s) should I use? ----- php/mysql

Should I outsource it? - outsourcing will be expensive but if you find the right developer it will be worth it especially if you create a comprehensive requirements document. doing it yourself will take time but you can customize it to your specifications but there will be security issues since you will be learning on the job., but your background in c means you understand programming logic so you can learn it

How and where do I store all the information users generate? - in a database i.e mysql (you web hosting company stores the databases you create online for you)
if you are worried about security use a dedicated server but there are security concerns since you will need to setup the whole environment

What would be the timescale and costs for such a project? – usd2000 over 2 months

Can I use Templates? – you can use a cms and find templates and customize it. you need to know php or perl or python

What languages should I learn PHP, Ruby or javascript? And where can I study them (codeacademy, udemy, other opencourseware?)
php is the best
you will need to know html, css, javascript, php and mysql

Any good other resources I should study before starting this endeavour?
start with w3schools.com to learn html, css, javascript
the online learning websites you mentioned are good

Since you are already somewhat familiar with C, learn PHP. The syntax is very similiar, and many PHP functions are really just thin wrappers around the C functions. You have the added benefit of also being able to create PHP extensions once you advance a bit more in C.

Having at least a working knowledge of javascript, css and html5 are requirements these days, as is having a solid understand of sql.

I know it sounds like a lot, and it is, but fortunately, most of these things are very easy to pick up quickly.

I don’t know why everyone is suggesting C, use Python. Python integrates seamlessly with C, the work hand in hand.

Do these in this order:

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript (You can probably put this off till you need it)

From there, look into this:
https://www.djangoproject.com/

And watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DccH9AMwFQ (Django Tutorial) There are short pre-reqs, which are linked in the video.

Once you’re past this, you should be able to answer your other questions yourself. No you shouldn’t outsource it, for decent code you’re talking about several hundred thousand dollars minimum.

There are a lot of pieces that come together to make a website. If you’re a full stack developer, that is developing a website entirely yourself, you’re a Web Designer (how it looks), a Backend Web Developer (Python, Ruby, backend Javascript), a Frontend Web Developer (Javascript and CSS), a System Architect, a Database Administrator, a Server Administrator, and probably your own Marketing. I’m not trying to discourage you, it’s not as bad as it seems… but at companies that can afford this each one of these are all entirely different positions and even entire teams of people.

Read lots of blogs. Sitepoint has alot of great ones, there is also Hacker News for general technology (kind of like reddit, but only tech related. Very influential people use this and sometimes you will see top minds debating in the comments), [URL=“http://alistapart.com/”]A List Apart (Mostly design, but has other things), and [URL=“http://css-tricks.com/”]CSS Tricks (just neat stuff, to kind of keep up with CSS trends).

1 Like

mawburn, nobody suggested C. Creating a website in C would be crazy.

I meant PHP. Ug. I hate the 30min edit rule.

Lol, no problem, now that you mention it, I should have known what you meant.

Honestly, he should just try both, and pick the one he likes best. I think PHP is a good fit for a person with a C background, that has been my experience…personally, I just like PHP more for web development stuff.

You should buy social media script, there are many online. You can search “social medial script”, “social media theme”, “Social media template” and more.

Also, you need to compare all the demo for that scripts by using “site speed tools” and after that you want to buy that script.

As the OP has never returned since starting this topic in August, there seems little point in reviving it now.

Thanks to those who took the time to reply.