Stating you've done more sales than you actually have...Ethical? Legal?

I appreciate you confirming this Andrew, so thank you :).

I wouldn’t lie with the numbers. Better say many customers for instance than lie about it. Don’t know what legal issues you can run into (law is different from one country to another), but it’s not OK to build your business on a lie.

So much cynicism on this thread, with wild statements about how unethical businesses are, etc.

Just be honest and ethical and you will be OK. It’s ok to spin things in your direction, or put some polish on your claims, as long as you are not being misleading. If you are concerned about the legality of what you are saying, it’s probably not a good idea to say it because whether it’s legal or not you are trying to build a business on questionable claims. You will do better by focusing your efforts on growing your business and satisfying your clients, and after a while you don’t even feel the need to puff up your claims :slight_smile:

Not necessarily.

A certain marketplace for selling websites regularly lied and exaggerated the demand for websites and “website flipping”, lied and exaggerated about the profit to be made in this game. They did very well and floated off to a new domain. They continued to lie and exaggerate and even claimed the sum total of all transactions that happened on their platform as their own “turnover” - readers can decide whether it’s misleading or puffery. The last I checked they weren’t doing too badly.

It’s about how well you carry it off.

The mindset of “do whatever you can get away with,” “it’s only wrong if you get caught,” etc makes me ill.
I couldn’t have put it better.

misleading the buyer question your hardwork and your image… if the buyer belive the company soo much the company should remain the trust.