Stop Coding for PHP 4?

I like that in PHP5 you no longer need to explicitly state that objects are passed by reference.

4 has been obsolete for so long now…I can’t believe I’m reading this. Haha :slight_smile:

In any case, PHP has several distinct advantages, perhaps greatest of all is the improved object model. Version 6 will support some other common/popular OO features, such as namespaces (which I personally could care less about).

Suffice it to say, it’s time for you to drop 4 completely and consider writing for PHP 6 :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. We have already made the decision to do it. I think it has reached a point where supporting users who are upgrading has become easier as well. But I will say in our defense that when dealing with thousands of users you have to plan well. What can seem like a simple decision can have implications, and we have a responsibility to support our users. We probably could have easily done it last year, so I will accept criticism that it could have been done sooner.