Strange Page-Jog

I know this is a vague question, but I have a production website that I cannot easily publish here…

What kinds of things would cause a quick right-left jog of a page when navigating to it?! :-/

I have been using Paul O’s 3-Column, Fixed-Width, Fluid Center, Full-Height Column with Sticky Footer with great success on every page on my website.

It seems that when I go from “checkout.php” to “contact_us.php”, that the “contact_us.php” page is getting funky?!

If I checkout –> contact_us –> checkout –> contact_us –> and so on, it does usually keep doing it, but may eventually stop.

As I watch the page-jog, the Header from each page is not moving, so it is like then entire <body> is freaking out versus there being some subtle difference in the pages which basically use the same template…

It is usually re-creatable, but not always.

I’m using FireFox 3.6.13 on a Mac.

The only thing I can think of is that switching from HTTPS to HTTP is having some undesired effect?! :-/

I’d like to share a URL, but that is not possible, so I’m hoping that I’ve given enough to maybe describe something that has happened to others?!

Thanks,

Debbie

Do some of the pages have scrollbars and others don’t? That can cause funky behavior. especially when FF doesn’t realize this at first so leaves out the scrollbar but draws it in later.
http vs https should have nothing to do with this btw.

Good idea, but every page has a vertical scroll bar so far.

It stopped doing it right now, so I cleared out my browser cache and then it returned.

It exists a tiny bit on my laptop, but is much more pronounced online… (It is harder to cause or re-create on my laptop in NetBeans.)

I know that Paul had to do some funky things with 100% width and a negative margin to bring the right fixed-width column back into the monitor.

Maybe this is related to that and/or is just a loading issue.

Then again, if this was a design flaw or browser issue, I’d see it other places (and not just going from “checkout.php” to “contact_us.php”)?!

Debbie

What else is in the page?

Do you have images without their height and width attributes?

Try creating a cut down version or comment sections of content down until you can narrow the problem down.

This is one of those bugs where we need to see it happening I’m afraid otherwise it’s just guessing.