Strange spam address in GA content report

I am running a site with an OpenCart store and a Wordpress blog in a subfolder. I hope the details of my setup aren’t important, because I’m hoping this is just some sort of background noise/guestbook spam/whatever. However, the following “page” is showing up in my GA content report:

Naturally, this doesn’t even remotely correspond to any content on my site. I’ve also checked on FTP to make sure a corresponding folder has not been created, and I have checked .htaccess for a redirect. I have also downloaded the raw access logs for this month, and a text search for elements of the offending address come up with nothing.

Anybody have any idea what’s going on here, or what else I might check to identify it?

Are you able to preview the page? Probably, you’ll end up deleted it after you’re done with it but… yes, it is a bit worrisome that you see content that shouldn’t be there.

Check your configuration and see who’s allowed to post comments and all that, make sure that your security (WP configuration) is OK.

Also, take the details where it says that the page was created and try to look up your logs, just to confirmed which pages where accessed at the roughly same time. If you see any php related to page creation, maybe you should be worried.

As additional security, change all your passwords (FTP, WP admin (likely, that user won’t be admin), database, etc)

Thanks for your reply, molona. After some further research, I am going with the theory that this is referrer spam, of a type I hadn’t previously known about. Evidently, some bad guys will hit your site with fake stimuli to Google Analytics, making the names of their spam pages appear as if they were your content. Sly!

Anyway, since my logs show nothing about an actual operational URL at the address mentioned, I’m not too worried that this corresponds to anything in the real world.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.