Strange Text in Command Line

When I open up the Terminal app on my MacBook, I see this…

Last login: Tue Oct  6 20:41:59 on console
MARK-HATCH:~ user1$ 

MARK-HATCH???

What in the hell is that?? :eek:

TomTees

NO!

BTW the command line in Windows XP+ (all NT variants) is not DOS, it just looks like it.

Then what is it?!

I found these two articles…

http://osxdaily.com/2006/12/11/how-to-customize-your-terminal-prompt/

http://www.macworld.com/article/146550/2010/02/rootprompt.html

Are there any Unix/Linux gurus around here??

I would like to know what is going on here, and I don’t want to start mucking around with Terminal/command-line/Bash stuff and really mess things up. (Although both of the articles above seem to be from authoritative sources.)

Thanks,

TomTees

If the computer was pre-installed with software it is possible it was the person whom installed the software. I have done similar in Linux before but it was several years ago and just in a Lab during Linux Server Admin.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, it’s more of a personalisation and in either case you should usually make duplicates/backups of major config files before editing just in case.

Its Windows command line, that is all.

[B]

[/B]Are there any Unix/Linux gurus around here??

I would like to know what is going on here, and I don’t want to start mucking around with Terminal/command-line/Bash stuff and really mess things up. (Although both of the articles above seem to be from authoritative sources.)

I would just leave it alone then. It probably is nothing but the hostname of your computer.

That appears to be the computer name or host name.
Is your computer named MARK-HATCH?

BTW the command line in Windows XP+ (all NT variants) is not DOS, it just looks like it.

The app that gives you the command-line like the DOS window in Windows.

Is there a Unix/Linux forum here?

Maybe I can get better help there?

TomTees

i don’t want to not answer, so i will, but i’m a pc guy and i have no idea what a Terminal is

no idea, but it sure doesn’t look like anything related to databases

Should I be freaked out??

Was my computer hacked??

Is that some default name or value??

I’m really not sure what I’m even looking at, other than I wouldn’t expect to see what appears to be some person’s name in the Terminal window?! :shifty:

TomTees