<strong> <em>

I’m trying to make some bold and italic text.
When I use <strong> <em> it effects all the text even though I’m using <strong/>
at the end of the text it still effect text further down the page?
How do I then isolate?
Thanks

[font=verdana]You’ll kick yourself…

The closing tag is </strong>, with the slash before the element name. That’s the case for any non-empty element. It’s only elements that can’t contain any content that you put the slash at the end to make it self-closing (for example, <hr/> is equivalent to <hr></hr>).[/font]

Thanks Stevie D, so I close it like <strong/>

No

<strong>   </strong>

Thanks!

I’m trying to make some bold and italic text.

Because of the humorous typo, we forgot to mention that since this is merely aesthetic you should use CSS and a semantically meaningful tag. So let say you wanted to put emphasis on a phrase of your paragraph.

.emphasis{ font-style:italic; font-weight:bold;}

<p>Lorem ipsum  <em class="emphasis"> dolor sit amet</em>, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. 

If you are highlighting that content for PURELY aesthetic reasons, use a SPAN instead of EM.

:slight_smile: