Stuck on deciding whether to buy x64 notebook

Firstly, let me declare my ignorance in x64 systems. I have read a bit but plz do not be surprised or irritated :slight_smile:

I need to replace my old Pentium-not-even-CoreDuo notebook. I have a bargain to get a brand new Intel i5,64bit architecture notebook running Windows 7 64bit at almost half the price. The thing is I know nothing about 64bit. The important info I got was that incompatible Antivirus programs may have issues running ontop of x64 OS’s and the most important advantage is the amount of memory that can be allocated in an x64 system.

As we all know its always better getting info from your colleagues who can share invaluable experience and advice… its not that I’m lazy to search for info. :slight_smile:

It got me thinking about all applications that I would like to run, from graphics to programming. Do I need 64bit versions of all the software? As I also program in C++ and sometimes Java, will my output be specific to x64 architectures? What about my Dreamweaver and Photoshop? And will I run into the headache of looking for x64 applications?

I’ve read about WoW64 but I still value your experiences and advice.

Thank-you!

thanks for the info, logic_earth. nicely explained.

on your last point, this means 32bit software can run without problems on hardware made for 64bit systems?

Nope unless the software needs to communicate with hardware then you need x64 drivers and what not. Most 32bit software will work fine.

As I also program in C++ and sometimes Java, will my output be specific to x64 architectures?

I believe it depends on the compiler and what settings you use to compile.

What about my Dreamweaver and Photoshop?

They will run, the latest versions of Photoshop also come in x64 flavors.

If there are too many problems, however, you can always install a 32bit version of Windows 7 on that computer.

64 bits systems can handle more memory than 32 bits, and also have an improve in speed and reliability and security. You will notice the difference.

thanks again. I think I can make a decision now.

Yes, most 32bit software should work fine. There might be a few cases out there where it doesn’t but they should be few and far between. Usually if the application doesn’t work it probably don’t work on Windows 7 for either version.

64 bits is best in all ways then 32 bits. And how logic earth explained you i do not think that still there is a any reason to not to buy X64.

thx Clara. am happy with the buy. i’ve definitely noticed the difference, as Rosblanc put it

You can buy a X64 notebook but install X84 OS (32 bit) so when the time comes that you need X64, all you need to do is to get a 64bit version of your OS plus the applications you been using.

The only time you will feel the difference is you have applications that need lots of ram and cpu power.