Stupid form submission question

I’m wokring on a simple franken problem, and they are the worst. I’m not sure if this is JavaScript, PHP, or the dreaded combination. When I did a search on the net this combo thing pops up a lot of confusing AJAX repsonses.

The problem has two parts. I have a form element (pull down, form select, actually) that I want to submit with an “onChange” event. (Frequently I use JavaScript as a client side validator when filling out a form.)

The second part is the page is dynamically generated php content. A $_GET variable is sent to a controller script to indicate the status of the page as it reloads. The form select is passed in the $_POST variable (a value that alters the php presentation of the content). The form content is sent with the submission of the form, but how do I send the $_GET variable. In PHP it is a “send header” function.

So this is me…“How have I used the name property in a form in the past? HMM…Well I’ve used it in JavaScript…Uhhh, this time its PHP…Why should it matter? Why is _POST not getting the name of the form… Hmm… What about PHP.net…Nope…What about W3 School Tutorials? Nope…Lets look in the HTML 4.0 SpecificationNope… GeeeWiz, This is such a stupid question its not even in the specification. I feel Stupid.”
:mad:
And where did I find it… in another [URL=“http://bytes.com/topic/php/answers/9986-get-form-name-id”]forum. Its get’n so a person can only find answers in a forum.
:blush:

This is not working out right now. I’m getting a header conflict. To move ahead to a working version I’ve simplified removing the _GET.

Its still important that I have 3 forms on a page. But why can’t I get a “name” property in the “form” tag and access it with _POST ($_POST[‘form_name’])?

I feel dum. Why won’t this work?

All the inputs are the same, but its important which form you select, cuz I’m using a form as a tool to alter the page layout. Otherwise I could just add another input field to direct the various forms. Instead I use several pull-downs in the exact location where the change is to take effect. Its less abstract.

To send $_GET values from JavaScript you add the information into location.search

The alternative and more common way in JavaScript is to just append the value after the ? in the URL you are setting up.

Good. If I want to have a form submit its $_POST variables from it’s select element when the onChange event is triggered, put a JavaScript function in the onChange event handler. This calls a function in the header. The function sets the url variable (equivalent of the $_GET variable) as mentioned and then submit the form with submit(), and close the header function!
Whew! I’ll try it… Thanks