Subversion command line - why bother?

Hey, I’ve a question to pro/semi-pro webdevs.

Do you find subversion’s command line useful in everyday work?

Because all of us (especially front-end folks) work in GUI systems, Subversion also has it’s GUI for Windows (and it works smoothly, you can do absolutely everything with two clicks), so why should we care about the command line?

I wanted to learn Subversion deeply, so grabbed some books and every one single book about Subversion is ALL about command line.

What’s the big deal? What can command line do that GUI can’t?

I know it’s always better to master MS-DOS than Windows, but let face the truth - most Windows users will never need to know what “cd” or “dir” does.

I’d also love to hear from people who work in big companies, with many people, on same projects/files controlled by Subversion.

Do you really type commands all the time? :slight_smile:

Greetings.

I think SVN is a case where the tooling is very, very mature – so mature that there is little Tortise can’t do that the command line can. For any day-to-day stuff I definitely use tortise over the gui, at least on windows. But that doesn’t mean the command line is not useful – its vital for the build and deployment process for anyone that is really taking advantage of version control. Its also handy to have in non GUI environments . . .

Ok, but let’s get straight to the point - pro webdevs do you use TortoiseSVN (“the right-click tool”) or fight with command line all the time? :>

I’m not sure if it’s worth learning the command stuff since till now I haven’t found there anything new to me… So why every book forces us to use the command line?

I’d like to think I am a “professional web developer” and I use both. Tortise when I can, and the command line where it makes sense.

The reason the books focus on the command line is because that is the cross-platform interface – there isn’t a decent gui SVN client for a Mac, for example.