Superfish CSS Help

Hello Everyone,

Ran into this website by mere coincidence and it so happens I could use some assistance with some layout problem.

I am trying to get rid of the blue area because right now it looks like it’s a double menu. When you hover your mouse over the links, you’d get the submenu; however, if you place your mouse in the blue section – you’d also get the submenus.

I have tried all I can think of but I think it’s time for some outside assistance and maybe some opinions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone could provide.

Hello :). Use this HTML. The reason is because you’re moving the <div>'s down (a child of the <li>'s) with position:relative and top:20 some pixels. That only moves the document visually. I chose this over just c hanging it to margin-top becuase you can remove ALL the divs in your HTML. Like, you have <li><div> etc for each top level menu item. You can remove that div. Place the classes and ID’s on the <li> instead and you save an element :).

<body>
<!-- Global Navigation -->
<div id="nav">
  <ul class="sf-menu">
    <li>
      <div id="nav_home" class="nav_main_links"><a href="/"><span id="nav_home_span">Home</span></a></div>
    </li>
    <!-- / Home -->

<li id="nav_aboutclive" class="nav_main_links">
      <div><a href="/main/abo/"><span id="nav_aboutclive_span">About Clive</span></a></div>
      <ul><br />
        <li><a href="/main/abo/history.overview.php">History and Overview of Clive</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/financesbudget/index.php">Finances and Budget</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/abo/financesbudget/capital.improvement.plan.php">Capital Improvements Plan</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/abo/financesbudget/city.budget.php">City Budget</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/abo/financesbudget/taxes.levies.php">Taxes and Levies</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/city.newsletter.php">City Newsletter</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/public.notices.php">Public Notices</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/city.maps.php">City Maps</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/city.record.documents.php">City Records and Documents</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/clive.strategic.plan.php">Clive Strategic Plan</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/citizen.satisfaction.survey.php">Citizen Satisfaction Survey</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <!-- / About Clive -->

<li id="nav_iwantto" class="nav_main_links">
      <div><a href="/main/iwa/"><span id="nav_iwantto_span">I want to...</span></a></div>
      <ul><br />
        <li><a href="/main/iwa/applyfor/index.php">Apply for</a>
          <ul>
           <li><a href="/main/iwa/applyfor/city.boards.commissions.php">City Boards and Commissions</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/applyfor/volunteer.opportunities.php">Volunteer Opportunities</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/applyfor/city.jobs.php">City Jobs</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/applyfor/permits.php">Permits</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/iwa/listento/index.php">Listen to</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/listento/audio.city.council.php">Audio from City Council</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/listento/audio.planning.zoning.php">Audio from Planning and Zoning</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/listento/audio.board.adjustment.php">Audio from Board of Adjustment</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/index.php">Pay for</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/library.fines.php">Library Fines</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/pet.license.php">Pet License</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/property.tax.php">Property Tax</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/recreation.program.fees.php">Recreation Program Fees</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/red.light.violation.php">Red Light Violation</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/utillity.ach.php" target="_new">Utility Bill by ACH</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/payfor/utility.bill.online.php">Utility Bill Online</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/iwa/request/index.php">Request</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/request/street.light.repair.php">Street Light Repairs</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/request/inspection.building.projects.php">Inspection for Building Projects</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/request/no.mosquito.spraying.php">No Mosquito Sprayinig</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/index.php">Sign Up for</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/garbage.recycliing.php">Garbage and Recycling</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/rental.facilities.php">Rental Facilities</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/enotify.php">E-Notify</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/emergency.phone.notifications.php">Emergency Phone Notifications</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/library.newsletter.php">Library Newsletter</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/library.programs.php">Library Programs</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/new.resident.services.php">New Resident Services</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/recreation.programs.php">Recreation Programs</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/iwa/contact/index.php">Contact</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/mayor.php">Mayor</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/city.council.php">City Council</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/iwa/contact/city.staff.php">City Staff</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/bus/report.city.code.violation.php">Report a City Code Violation</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/res/view.league.schedules.standings.php">View League Schedules and Standings</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <!-- / I Want To -->

<li id="nav_residents" class="nav_main_links">
      <div><a href="/main/res/"><span id="nav_residents_span">Residents</span></a></div>
      <ul>
      <br />
        <li><a href="/main/res/voters.registration.precincts.php">Voters Registration and Precincts</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/res/info.referrals.community.services.php">Info and Referrals for Community Services</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/res/public.art.program.php">Public Art Program</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/res/resident.guide.php">Resident Guide</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/res/schools.php">Schools</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/res/utilities.php">Utilities</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/res/healthsafety/index.php">Health and Safety</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/police/crime.mapping.php">Crime Mapping</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/police/westcom.php">E911 Dispatch - Westcom</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/fire/emergency.text.email.alerts.php">Emergency Text and Email Alerts</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/fire/fire.safety.php">Fire Safety</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/police/neighborhood.traffic.management.php">Neighborhood Traffic Management</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/library/">Library</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/parksrecreation/aquatic.center.php">Aquatic Center</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/parksrecreation/parks.shelters.trails.php">Parks Shelters and Trails</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/applyfor/permits.php">Permits and Licensing</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <!-- / Residents -->

<li id="nav_businesses" class="nav_main_links">
      <div><a href="/main/bus/"><span id="nav_businesses_span">Businesses</span></a></div>
      <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/buildingdevelopingproperties/">Building/Developing Properties</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/buildingdevelopingproperties/comprehensive.plans.php">Comprehensive Plans</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/buildingdevelopingproperties/current.projects.php">Current Projects</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/fire/fire.safety.php">Fire Safety</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/gov/fire/hydrant.meters.php">Hydrant Meters</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/buildingdevelopingproperties/traffic.count.php">Traffic Count</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/buildingdevelopingproperties/building.reports.php">Building Reports</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/index.php">Permits</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/building.php">Building</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/liquor.beer.php">Liquor/Beer</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/noise.php">Noise</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/outdoor.event.php">Outdoor Event</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/temporary.site.plan.php">Sales/Temporary Site Plan</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/sign.php">Sign</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/permits/solicitor.php">Solicitor</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="/main/bus/report.city.code.violation.php">Report a City Code Violation</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/">Economic Development</a>
          <ul>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/available.sites.buildings.php">Available Sites and Buildings (LOIS)</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/business.parks.projects.php">Business Parks and Projects</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/community.data.php">Community Data</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/community.profile.php">Community Profile</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/financial.incentives.php">Financial Incentives</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/newsletter.php">Newsletter</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/contact.city.php">Contact City</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/transportation.php">Transportation</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/utilities.php">Utilities</a></li>
            <li><a href="/main/bus/economicdevelopment/workforce.php">Workforce</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <!-- / Businesses -->

<li id="nav_visitors" class="nav_main_links">
      <div><a href="/main/vis/"><span id="nav_visitors_span">Visitors</span></a></div>
      <ul>
      <br />
        <li><a href="/main/gov/parksrecreation/aquatic.center.php">Aquatic Center</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/vis/employers.php">Employers</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/abo/history.overview.php">History and Overview of Clive</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/vis/lodging.restaurants.php">Lodging and Restaurants</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/parksrecreation/parks.shelters.trails.php">Parks Shelters and Trails</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/iwa/signupfor/rental.facilities.php">Rental Facilities</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/vis/where.clive.php">Where is Clive?</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <!-- / Visitors -->

<li id="nav_government" class="nav_main_links">
      <div><a href="/main/gov/"><span id="nav_government_span">Government</span></a></div>
      <ul>
      <br />
      <li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/mayor.php">Mayor</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/city.council.php">City Council</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/boardscommissions/index.php">Boards and Commissions</a>
       <ul>
           <li><a href="/main/gov/boardscommissions/board.adjustment.php">Board of Adjustment</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/boardscommissions/civil.service.commissions.php">Civil Service Commissions</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/boardscommissions/library.board.php">Library Board</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/boardscommissions/parks.board.php">Parks Board</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/boardscommissions/planning.zoning.commission.php">Planning and Zoning Commission</a></li>
        <li><a href="/main/gov/boardscommissions/public.arts.advisory.commission.php">Public Arts Advisory Commission</a></li>
       </ul>
       </li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/city.state.code.php">City and State Code</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/cityservices/">City Services</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/cityadministration/">City Administration</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/communitydevelopment/">Community Development</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/fireems/">Fire and EMS</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/library/">Library</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/parksrecreation/">Parks and Recreation</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/police">Police</a></li>
       <li><a href="/main/gov/publicworks">Public Works</a></li>       
 </li>
    <!-- / Government -->

</ul>
</div>
        <!-- /Global Navigation -->
      </body>
      </html>

You should also note you have some invalid HTML in there. You can’t have <br> as the direct child of a <ul>. Just saying.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, I intentionally put those breaks in so i can have some empty space on top of the menus, but I found the location to adjust the height in the superfish css and just have not removed those breaks yet. It will be removed when things are finalized :slight_smile:

As for your suggestion, I had replaced the HTML you suggested and ran the example; however, now the superfish submenu itself is rotated too. Is there a way to keep the submenus from rotating? I only want the first <UL> level to rotate so it would fit the background image i will be using.

You used CSS3 transformation to rotate the top level <li>, just use transformations again :).

Should (untested) just be able to take the values you set and make them negatives. Just have it on li:hover, switch the rotation.

Ryan,

After your suggestion, I have tried to do it on my own – but it’s not coming out the way I’m expecting it to. With the main <LI> having the rotation, any subsequent <ul> and <li> would be rotated too. So what I did was created a span id call nav_neg_xxxxxxx and did the CSS rotation (only backwards) – It works on FF. Chrome it is not cooperating. I have yet to try IE (IE has a text rotation problem where the background would be black, i’d have to get other browsers working first before adding yet another class just for IE)