Support for .cgi files in Dreamweaver 8

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem which has bugged me for nigh on a year now…

I primarily use DW to maintain all the company sites with, as I like its FTP functionality and integration with FW etc. I also happen to think that as an editor its the bees knees. However, a LOT of legacy sites that I have to support contain perl cgi files.
I have found the extension for .pl support and I now have coloured perl code, but the perl dw extension does not support .cgi files, so none of those have code colouring and its a royal pain in the *** to have to keep reverting to homesite & cute ftp all the time.

Please oh please can someone tell me how to either edit the perl dw extension to include .cgi files, or something to that effect? Thanks!

I was able to get DW to open cgi files by adding the following line to the Extensions.txt:
C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration\Extensions.txt

CGI:CGI Files

Be sure to restart DW.

If you want it to highlight the code, you’ll have to look into the CodeColoring files:
C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration\CodeColoring\CodeColoring.xml

Ah hah! Thanks, I can get them to open ok, but I was looking at the codecoloring files in the ‘program files’, not the ‘documents & settings’,

I’ll let you know how I get on :wink:

Ok, for future reference heres what I did:

Installed the perl support extension from the Dreamweaver exchange.

Go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\{your name}\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration\DocumentTypes and open the PerlDocumentType.xml file.

Add cgi to the following attributes like so:

winfileextension="pl,pm,cgi"

macfileextension="pl,pm,cgi"

Restart DW and there you go. I can’t believe nobody has ever documented this before now!

Hello,
I noticed that the above posts refer to doing this in Dreamweaver 8 and 9. However, after acquistion of Macromedia by Adobe, some path changes and filename changes happened. So, for DW CS4 (and possible CS3 too), here is the exact workaround:

Note: change ‘user’ mentioned below to your exact username in XP:

CHANGE 1:
Path: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US\Configuration\DocumentTypes
File: PerlDocumentType.xml

CHANGE
winfileextension=“pl,pm” macfileextension=“pl,pm”
TO
winfileextension=“pl,pm,cgi” macfileextension=“pl,pm,cgi”

CHANGE 2:
Path: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS4\en_US\Configuration\Extensions
File: PerlSupport.mxi

CHANGE
<extension-insert extension=“PL,PM” description=“Perl files” />
TO
<extension-insert extension=“CGI,PL,PM” description=“Perl files” />