System software and firmware!

hi all!
Can you please explain me the main difference between system software and Firmware? I have tried to learn it on web but all those details confused me even more :nono:

Thanks for trying to help but this much amount of data has always confused me :frowning:

Firmware is basically software that’s internal to a device and controls its operation, a good example is the BIOS of a computer which is firmware.

ok thats great, a software within a hardware is called firmware.
so in that case if we write some data on a CD-R, would that be considered as firmware.

Nope, that would be considered software.

Software is the stuff you (can) install on a hard disk, flash drive etc, where as firmware is a special kind of software that is installed on a chip (embedded!) inside the hardware that contains the instructions for the device on how to operate.

oh thats so helpful. believe meee i am so grateful to you, You made my point clear for which i spent an hour on net

Software is the stuff you (can) install on a hard disk, flash drive etc, where as firmware is a special kind of software that is installed on a chip (embedded!) inside the hardware that contains the instructions for the device on how to operate.[/QUOTE]

That is helpful for me too. But can we say a software has a firmware inside it, that tells it what to do and how to do.

Nope, but we could say that hardware has software inside it that tells it what to do, and that particular type of software is called firmware :slight_smile: