"tab" list, not working in Safari

Hi,

Once again, it comes down to stupid cross browser compatibility :frowning:

http://cssdesk.com/sw3U6

This works fine in FF, IE and Chrome… but not in Safari (or any Apple mobile devices). If I remove the padding on the li element, it kinda works… but then you loose all the padding on the tab (which I can’t do, as it looks rubbish)

Can anyone spot whats up with it? I really do wish Mozilla, Apple, M$ and any other browser developers would cooperate when making the standards for their browsers… I dread to think how many hours a year I waste trying to fix up cross browser issues :frowning:

TIA!

Andy

Don’t set the width/lengths in px. I recomend using ems The ‘problem’ is that different. Bowsers have diferent default text sizes. Safari is probably bigger than the other browsers thus it wraps around.this is not a real crossbrowser issue; If you used text only zoom in the other browser you’d see your layout would break as well.

Hope that helps.

OMG you actually legend! I’ve been going round and round in circles with this one! I changed the font to 1.1em, and it works perfectly now - I would never have worked that out!

Thanks again!

Andy

Mmm actually, that worked on the demo page - but not on the live one :frowning: Its a bit hard to show a proper demo - as the site is currently behind an IP block (as we dont want google finding it, and penalizing us for duplicated content with the live site)

If your happy to take a look, and provide your IP - please PM it to me, and I’ll add you to the IP block so you can see it :slight_smile:

TIA!

Andy

Mmm, I can’t seem to edit my above post?

Anyway - here is a simpler example:

http://cssdesk.com/sw3U6

I’ve removed the .label bit, and just have plain text in the 3rd tab. However, it STILL overflows to the 2nd line in Safari - even though there seems ample space in #cat_tabs #tab_list ul (the bit with a green background)

Any more ideas? I’m really drawing blanks here :frowning:

TIA

Andy

Hi,

I can’t see any overflow in your example above. There are three tabs centred on the red bar in Safari PC and Mac.

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The problem occurs when you shrink the width of the window down. There still seems to be about 15-20px free on both sides of the tabs, yet the 3rd tab (part of it) jumps down onto the next line. Please see:

Any ideas? I’m really drawing a blank on it ATM :frowning:

TIA

Andy

Hi,

Ok I can see safari wraps the element a little earlier than other browsers. It looks like it adds the padding on the inline elements onto the end of the line. A more robust solution would be to use inline-block instead of inline and the browser will take beter care of margins and padding.

e.g.

#tab_list li {
  display:inline-block;
  margin:-5px 0 -1px;
  vertical-align:top;
}

/* ie7 support if needed */
#tab_list li {
*display:inline;
*zoom:1.0;
}

You may need to tweak a few things to get exactly the display as before but should easily be achievable.

Hi Paul,

You absolute gem - that was it! :cool:

I changed the display: inline to what you suggested, and it works exactly as it should have in Safari now

Thanks a ton - you saved what little bit of hair I have left! hehe

Thanks again

Andy