If <tables> do have to be used is it ok to place div inside:

<table>
<div>
<ul>
<li></li>
</ul>
</div>
</table>

just getting a better understanding thanks:)

Imagine that they want to move one element in the template from one spot to another. If its position is defined in the template using HTML tables then each and every existing page needs to be updated separately to change it. If you have several thousand pages to update then the change could take weeks. The same change to site using an external CSS file would take seconds.

Since changing the entire site over to use CSS shouldn’t take much longer than moving the one element making the change to use CSS instead of tables will at worst start saving you update time by the third or fourth such update as compared to leaving the site in the stone age.

So change one moving an element but retaining tables takes say two weeks while change one converting to CSS takes say five weeks. Change two still with tables takes two weeks while change two after converting to CSS takes five minutes. Change three still with tables takes two weeks while change three after converting to CSS takes five minutes. At this point converting to CSS at the start has become the cheaper more cost effective option.

Since all sites generally make changes to their template at least once a year if not more often this makes it more cost effective to convert any site to CSS that is expected to still exist in three years time.

And that’s a worst case situation, most sites would be better off within months.

I didn’t get that from a book or website. Though I think Stephen nicely explained the ‘main points’ concerning “modular design” and CSS being more flexible than the clunky TABLE and how it would save having maintenance headaches, across a variety of media, etc.