Tackling the sitemap questions i'm looking at with a dead stare -_-

OK, I’m not going to attempt to answer all of these points, certainly not all in one go, but I’ll make a start.

[quote=“generalProf, post:1, topic:197058”]
Do you need a on site sitemap for Google to crawl your site better (i say better because i know it’s not the only way for them to crawl the site) or is it just best practice because both user and Google can use it, does Google even need it?
[/quote]Google has quite clear and helpful guidelines about the circumstances in which it would be beneficial for you to submit a sitemap. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/156184?hl=en

The on site sitemap which i am talking about is a HTML based one for it to be more presentable to the user.
[/quote]An HTML sitemap is ideal for helping human visitors, but for search engines, you should provide an xml sitemap. (There are various sites which will help you generate one, if required.)

My question is in regards to how my site should be structured and how the sitemap will help to get all the link juice to the businesses pages (the pages furthest away from domain)
[/quote]It’s difficult to advise on structure without seeing the actual site and content, but generally, the simpler (and easier to navigate) the better for both visitors and bots.

If you’re concerned about link juice reaching your inner pages, the best thing to do is to try to ensure that incoming links point directly to the most relevant page/content, rather than simply landing all users on your home page.

1 Like