Tagging music database, lyrics

It is a local issue here - related to works in the Nepalese Music Industry and intellectual properties.

Since about a decade, I am purchasing local music albums on the cassettes - all legal releases. Most of them now don’t work, as some moisture or old age ruined the files - some broken or demagnetized. The money I spent was too big in a decade. And it is not possible to find those songs in the market.

I want to digitally record those pieces for private use, and I don’t think it is illegal as I will not share or sell the mp3s. But, I want to type the lyrics, tag them and put online - more people will love this hard work.

It is not a business, never meant to earn money. But a respect to keep old things still in memories. How will the international and local legal system see this if I do so?

If you’re taking something you didn’t produce and putting it online (even if it’s for “historical” reasons) you had better be prepared for the worst. The RIAA have a vendetta against anyone who uses or provides music in a way which they deem not in their best interests, and will chase down people wherever they live (until their behind bars or bankrupt from compensation claims). Don’t even consider what you’re doing - even with lyrics, their protected by copyright and you can be sued for providing them without a license. Essentially, you’re better off just not bothering as the risk far outweighs the reward. :slight_smile: