Teaching kids to code - the English experience

Awesome posts! There is no doubt that IT will dominate for at least next 1000 years. I’d say we’re in 2nd Generation of IT. Anyways, back to the post.

There is a significant problem for US school systems. First, they are way underpaid… thus you get the quality of teacher matching the salary. Second, say a teacher actually learned and became proficient at programming. I’m 99% sure he/she’ll quit and work for IT company that’ll easily pay 5~8x more than their salary. I’m sure some teachers will remain as ‘teacher’ because that’s what they want to do. Most people don’t have that kind of luxury when you are a single income family. Third, I think most public school teachers don’t want to learn new things… You can tell by how much effort they put in to create the tests… Seen so many teachers using same tests every single year…

So, what’s going to really happen? There be a boom on private education sector. Instead of taking your kid for piano lesson, there will be a commercialized computer lesson where you’d pay anywhere from $30~50/hr. This is just my guess… I’m so thankful that I can teach my kids for free!!!