Teaching kids to code - the English experience

I live in the UK and my youngest daughter was the first year to take computer science at GCSE level (aged 16 years) after a 2-year course. Her response has been mixed, she has enjoyed some of it but has complained liberally about having to learn Python whilst learning nothing about newer languages such as HTML5. The languages that the kids learned were based on what the teacher chose, so it could vary quite wildly from school to school if that remains the case.

Before that however, the only real lessons they had surrounding computers was IT which really just taught them how to use Office programs. I think the new curriculum is a good thing and I think that it’s important that kids are familiar with and comfortable with technology fairly early. My daughter has done well in the class so far (computer science) and we’re awaiting her exam results at the moment so it will be interesting to see how she fared.

Back in the 80s, as someone pointed out, we did have basic coding in schools, I was just leaving as it was coming in. But since that time it’s degenerated into learning about stuff so basic that many of our most talented kids have had to find their own way if they wanted a career in tech. Hopefully, the new curriculum will improve by 1000% and kids will learn worthwhile skills that they can use for their career.

1 Like