Tetris effect

The Tetris effect (also known as Tetris Syndrome) occurs when people devote sufficient time and attention to an activity that it begins to overshadow their thoughts, mental images, and dreams.
[…]
People who play Tetris for a prolonged amount of time may then find themselves thinking about ways different shapes in the real world can fit together, such as the boxes on a supermarket shelf or the buildings on a street.

It happen to me to sometimes visualize myself using the mouse arrow to move things within the real world, or try to use ⎌ “Undo” on something that was cut wrong with the saw or with the knife.

<hr>

But today I read another one, which seems to be a better fit for us, developers:

If Tetris has taught me anything, is that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

LOL

Surprisingly I’ve never had this problem even though I spend enormous amount of time at the computer. Even in dreams very rarely. The closest I’ve ever got to it was seeing lines of code when I closed my eyes, but that would fade away fairly quickly and was probably more of a visual issue (my poor eyes). The minute I go away from the computer the whole thing just disappears from my mind.

I think I have this kind of syndrome, there are times that when I sleep I dreamed of tetris blocks and formed it somewhere. and honestly most of my time, I spend it playing tetris, is it bad?

Haha I love how you typed <hr>

I’m with daemon, I spend unhealthy amounts of time coding and it usually doesn’t effect me…immediately anyways.

When I code, I listen to music. The problem with that is that I’ll listen to the same 5 or 6 songs ALL EFFIN DAY! Sometimes I’ll listen to the same song over and over all day without break. Years later, if I hear that song again I have these extremely violent flashbacks of me coding. Like, literally I can see, smell, and taste everything that happened that day - it’s kind of trippy.

I can certainly recognize the “listen to one song/album all day” behavior! What I can say is that, for example, Vangelis and Jon Anderson always brings back Christmas nights for me.

But I can’t say the same about flashbacks of me coding…