Text becomes crazy - gobbledegook pc

Probably the weirdest query I have ever had.
After using a program for a while my text becomes crazy. It is as if i have a new keyboard with all the characters (consistently) in a different place. The only way to reclaim my keyboard is to close and restart the program. It can be any program, Firefox, word, Outlook Express, anything. Can’t tell whether it is after a certain amount of time or number of keystrokes… no idea.
VIRUS
If it is a virus I scan the whole computer every 3 days with AFG free.
SPYWARE/MALWARE
I run Spybot regularly.

System
is XP Pro
Can anyone help
Is there some way the PC cn be virus checked as a one off by something stronger than AVG free.
Help is appreciated.

[FONT=verdana]Is it possible that you have added a language to your Regional Settings?

To check that (in XP), go to Control Panel / Regional and Language Options / Languages. Click the Details button. You should see a list of your installed keyboards.

Normally, you would expect to see just one item in this list, this being the keyboard for your language and/or region (probably “English (Australia)”.) But if there is more than one entry there, that could explain the problem. If so, delete the one you don’t want.

I used to have both a UK and USA English keyboard installed, with USA being the default. Like you, my applications would randomly switch to the UK layout every so often, and I had to close and restart the program to get back to normal. In my case, the issue only affected four or five characters, but with other languages (or with other layouts, such as Dvorak), it could be much worse.

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but it’s something that would be worth checking.

Mike
[/FONT]

Hello Mike,
Under regional options, only English (Australia) is selected.
: O )

[FONT=verdana]Well, I said it was a long shot. Sorry I can’t suggest anything else.

Mike
[/FONT]

Need a genius here. Problem still persists.
:o)

Does the computer have a language setting in it’s BIOS? If it does and the BIOS battery is getting old it might be forgetting settings sometimes

Knew this would be tough. I am thinking a virus that hides from the Virus killer (AVG) ???

i think every bios is different and my expertise is lacking here but the pc did not start this behaviour till probably three years after I got it.

There was a reply from gtopawb here a minute ago . now…? wha!!!

He was a naughty boy and got his bot spanked.

ouch!
Something like masquerading as a helper but with “wannabuyawatch” under the overcoat perhaps…

Anyways can somebody offer any clues as to my little irritation…? pls :o)

and me other one: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?870090-QUOTE-MARKS-CONFUSED

thanks all…
Ralph

Anyone pls ?? : o )

i have also face the same problem. the avg free version work fine for some few day after that it get inflated itself.use other anivirus like zonealarm or kespersky.
you may use advance system care pro.

Agree with rajeev13. Best bet if you think your PC might be infected is to boot from a cd or flash drive with a good virus killer on it, instead of booting from your HD.

Maybe it’s a hardware problem, try a different keyboard & see if the problem persists.

Now use Avira antiviurus and Commodo firewall.

Unplugging the keyboard and putting back in (after 20 secs) does not solve this, so am satisfied it is not the keyboard.
Anyone?

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the driver for the keyboard, maybe the driver has become corrupted. btw if you’re still running XP you should consider upgrading to at least Win7 as I believe that Microsoft will shortly (if they’ve not already done so) be ending all support for XP.

[ot]

Support for WinXP ends April 8.[/ot]

Did you try Doug G’s suggestion of testing with a different keyboard? That would seem to be a more reliable way to rule out a hardware problem there.

I think I’m closing this thread… we’re trying to sort out a problem that was posted in 2012! :lol: