Text Box retain inputed value

how do you get a textbox in a form to retain an inputed value after that form is submitted

You have to grab the incoming POST data and refill the form, can’t do it with Javascript as far as I know. If you were sending the form using a GET you could but sending form data, especially text areas, via a GET can be very problematic.

if i were to do that would the data saved be unique for each user of the site, also can i assign the value a variable and then after the submit rewrite the variable in the textbox (though i don’t know if that would be unique per user).

You need to save the information that you want to view on returning to the form page. This can be done in several ways.
1: transfer the data string in the search component of the outging and incoming
URL …?abcde. You can then retrieve it when the incoming page loads.
2: make your form page part of a frameset with the left column of the frameset hidden. You do this with cols=“*,100%”. The form page then fills the viewport completely but you can still save info to the hidden column. This is available as soon as the main page is re-loaded into the other part of the frameset.
3: Store the info in a cookie. Some people may have cookies turned off.

Once the incoming page is loaded you can take the saved data and re-populate the form.

simply put
onclick=“return function1()”
to the submit button tag