Text editor not open to markup

I am on a Mac computer.
Starting the design thing form the book. How to build your own website the right way using html & css?. Typed the markup exercises in my TextEdit
save as index.html and open in browser and see the intended result
just fine. Page 41 fourth line from bottom asked that I open the
earlier saved markup in my Text Editor. I tried that, but I do not
get the intended markup result. I get what looks more like the result when I
open with the browser. What did I not do right at this point to get
the markup that I should get?.

ridefree

Page 41 fourth line from bottom asked that I open the
earlier saved markup in my Text Editor.

Open your Text Editor the same way you did when you first started writing markup. Not the browser. If your program defaults to a “New File” then it should be blank, waiting for you to type in it. Instead, go open your old index.html file (probably File-> Open -> navigate to where you saved that file) from the Text Editor itself.
I don’t know if Macs are like Linux in this way but I assume this is universal: you can also find the index.html in the folder you’re keeping it in, right click (whatever the Mac version of right-click is) and choose “open in…” where you can say Open with my Text Editor, rather than the default, which seems to be Open In My Browser.

The browser will never show markup unless you somehow saved the file as a text file (with the MimeType being text/plain rather than text/html) however most systems see that .html at the end and assign the correct (text/html) mime type so that browsers show the page you want rather than the markup.

Thank you!

After poking around for some time I figure things out !

ridefree