Text Editor with line numbers?

Does anyone know of a text editor I can use to create pages that will give me line numbers? I use WordPad which gives a replace function that NotePad doesen’t but neither have line numbers.

sstaubin…there are many fine text editors out there.

The ones you will find SitePointers recommend will be

TextPad (the one I use)

EditPlus (i have downloaded it and it looks great as well)

HomeSite (a combination text editor/WYSIWYG editor)

Arachnophilia (very simple, yet high quality)

Dreamweaver has a text editor view that can display the line numbers. However you need to download the whole program with the GUI editor to use the text editor.

Dominique

Ultraedit is another good text edit that will give you lines, color codes macros aso.

URL: http://www.ultraedit.com

darn…I knew I left a good one out…thanks Bartimeus

Yeah, but I don’t understand why such a simple feature doesn’t get implemented into NotePad or WordPad!

That could be because they are both made by MS. :smiley:

Website Rob…don’t be lame…The real reason why they are low on features is because both of those programs are over 5 years old. There have been hardly any changes to either of them since they were created for Windows 95.

I’m not saying that is an excuse, it’s just that i am sure that MS did not realize how widely used two of the most basic applications they gave use would be used.

I think that Notepad SUCKS and think that it should be deleted from every system but hey…that’s just me.

It was a rhetorical question and maybe I just have a better sense of humour than you do. :smiley:

As you stated “they are both over 5 years old” so the obvious question is “why hasn’t MS updated them” as previously asked. Pretty much any answer will do as it would only be a personal opinion, conjecture, and a shot in the dark, anyway.

If you want to provide a serious answer that actually answers the question, can you do better than the lame one you provided above?

Originally posted by creole
Website Rob…don’t be lame…The real reason why they are low on features is because both of those programs are over 5 years old. There have been hardly any changes to either of them since they were created for Windows 95.
Actually, I think NotePad was originally in Windows 3.1. I don’t think it’s changed much, either. MS Paint hasn’t changed a whole lot since the days of 3.1 either. Very sad.

Actually, EDIT.EXE is probably a better text editor than NotePad. Start: Run “EDIT”. I think it’s from the days of DOS, and it’s exactly the same in Windows Millenium. Even sadder.

Oh my GOD…I can’t believe they still leave programs like that laying around…I have never seen that one before…

MS is pretty stupid sometimes…

In Win2k, Notepad finally has been updated. You can use keyboard shortcuts now and the number of features has been expanded.

Anyway, Notepad was meant to be simple. :slight_smile:

Wow, an updated Notepad! I’d like to see a screenshot!

How about Paint? And Wordpad? And is EDIT.EXE still lying around?

Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
Actually, EDIT.EXE is probably a better text editor than NotePad. Start: Run “EDIT”. I think it’s from the days of DOS, and it’s exactly the same in Windows Millenium. Even sadder.

It’s not sad that EDIT is still the same throughout the whole generation of the Windows OS, it was ment to remain that way. EDIT is the most basic editing program there is under DOS. EDIT is simply a DOS version of NOTEPAD, which explains the archaic look.

There are only minor differences between the two. EDIT says what line and column the cursor is on in the bottom right corner of the screen and NOTEPAD has a word wrap feature.

Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
[B]Wow, an updated Notepad! I’d like to see a screenshot!

How about Paint? And Wordpad? And is EDIT.EXE still lying around? [/B]

I’ve never used Paint on Win2k (d’oh, I’ve PSP :smiley: ), but WordPad is still the same :slight_smile:

Edit.exe is still available on Win2k. I even used it today :wink:

I’m spoil now, got used to using NotePad in Win2000, and now whenever I go to someone elses computer who has Win98, I curse when Ctrl+S doesn’t work, then I push the keys even harder, thinking that it’ll help. :slight_smile:

NotePad’s useful for jotting things down, like some nafty signatures that people has, or some nice quotes, NotePad does the trick.

I like WebTek (http://parkenet.org/wrp/apl/WebTek/webtek.html). It’s a very nice html editor, easy to use, and free (my favorite part!)