Thats it - I quit

TASTE is one thing you haven’t mentioned. Have you got that back yet? After a long time smoking your taste buds are just messed up, in time though you’ll start tasting things differently. Theres something to look forward to :slight_smile:

My father just gave up one day after getting a really bad throat after smoking for 30 years ? - got through packets of chewing gum.

He is very intolerant to smokers ( I am told a lot of exsmokers are ) if he found my sisters cigarets he would just screw the packet up. He is now fitter than me and my mates and he is 20+ years older than us !

Anyway one of my other sister could not give up and she went to a hypnotist I think it cost her about £80 / per session for 2 sessions but she has not smoked since. She says it was well worth the money.

Day 3 is indeed a doozy Ulrike!

Man this is tough going but not given in yet! Now I now how PMT feels…
duck and cover

Well 3 days = £16.68 saved :slight_smile:
eaten my own body weight in chocolate and chewing gum
got the attention span of a goldfish

Tomorrow is going to be tough though - back to work :frowning:

Well done spike!

Keep it up, and good luck at work then!

Mike, a piece of cake from here on. The hardest part is over. In the third week you feel like trying just one - don’t. That drink is good without a cig :slight_smile:

Congrats, going sober from that takes a lot of effort. I hope the encouraging of all the people here will help you quit it for good. Best of luck.

[FONT=“Georgia”]You’re kidding!

You mean after seven years you still get cravings? Jeez!

[/FONT]

Most smokers do for the rest of their lifes… only that it is easier to forget the craving later… Things go pretty bad if, after a time, they do indulge themselves to smoke a single cigarette, thinking that one will not hurt… they start smoking and more than before!

This is true for most people, although there are always exceptions.

Well done, mate! It might help if you promise yourself some sort of prize after X smoke-free weeks. Something positive to look forward to.

And don’t think that you can ‘try just one’ at some party two years from now!

I don’t smoke, but I’ve been using snus for the last 29 years (jeez – has it really been that long?! :eek: ). It’s said to be even more addictive that cigarettes, although the health hazards aren’t as bad. I quit once, or at least I thought I did. A couple of years later I ‘tried just one’, certain that I was over it. That’s all it took to get me hooked again.

Quitting is easy. The hard part is not to start again. :smiley:

Mike, you can do it :slight_smile: Your mind is stronger than that craving. Your mind is where it is at, only the mind. Your mind is your weapon, use it properly.

Good luck!

It’s been 2 years and 5 days since I quit. The best advice I can give you is to keep reminding yourself that you are now officially a Non-Smoker! And keep reminding yourself the advantage you have over smokers now: the habit, the $$$, the smell, your health, and it’s two less things (with the lighter) in your pocket when you leave the house!

It’s amazing how quickly you start feeling better too - no longer so easily tired out.

It does get easier - I’d say the first month is the hardest with the first week the hardest of that - so once you get past that you can tell yourself that you’re past the worst so no point in going back!

I still occasionally think about smoking but it’s not like a real pang - just a stray thought really - I’d never start again.

I do too. Sometimes after a particularly good breakfast when there is still some coffee left to finish off, that is when I get the sentimental pang. After 35 years still, but as you, I will never in my life smoke again.

thanks everyone for your support - it warms the very cockles of my heart :slight_smile:

Well I have survived day 4 which was also the first day back at work after the easter break. It was tough, I must admit but not as bad as I had envisaged TBH.

The driving was probably the hardest part to get used to (I always smoked when I was driving and could have 4-5 just on the way to work!)

But - £22.25 saved so far, 3 weeks till the family holiday so looking at taking an extra £120 spending money with me :smiley:

Now thats going to help!!

:tup: Continue with that – you are over the big hump – Hugs (now that you smell good again :D)

Just don’t spend it on duty free ciggies :lol:

Well done by the way; there’s hope for the rest of us. :shifty:

jeeez! day 5 sucked big time and day 6 is also sucking so far!

£30.36 saved :slight_smile:

Keep it up! You know you can do it! Just have the big picture in mind!

Off Topic:

Hope that doesn’t sound too much out of place, on second thought, maybe it does

The thread title had me worried for a second there! :smiley: Congrats Spike, keep it up.

Dan, no it doesnt sound ot of place - I’m married :wink:
thanks xkratosx :tup: