The All New Responsive SitePoint

the new way of look u did good job. i like u r new responsive sitepoint

I’m impressed, it looks great :slight_smile:

Looks good! thanks

I like that all the different areas of interest are all back under one roof again. :slight_smile:

Beautiful design, though I did encounter some problems when filling the forms for the forums and the “Return to Previous Page” dialog when signing up for Talk with the Experts. At first, I noticed I needed to turn off the No Script addon for my Firefox browser. But the Return to Page function persisted, even after reattempting the signup. I’m no expert, but I assume there’s probably something with how the latest Firefox handles javascript since I’ve had a few problems at other sites as well.

After following all the links and filling out all forms per the article “A Brand New Sitepoint” linked in the promo email for four free books, I never received the PHP Master book, which was the one I was mostly wanted that enticed me to go through all the form-filling. I did receive the other three books though, so thanks for those b8t it would be great to receive the PHP Master book too as offered in the promo email and article.

Looks good, although the top menu block/tabs I’d prefer if they weren’t too tall and take up too much premium vertical desktop space :slight_smile:

PM me your email address and I’ll send it through to you. :slight_smile:

A minor niggly thing - the advertisements on the main page are just a little bigger than the article containers. Basically by the border on the images, but enough to drive me nuts…

I hadn’t noticed, but now that you mention it, I see what you mean.

Not a big issue imo. Perhaps a thicker border radius may make them less noticeable but honestly I’d leave it.

Minor rant follows:

Having received the offer of the free books by email last week, I opened the various articles and managed to find all the books and get them downloaded. I went to the comments at the bottom of the page and attempted to put in a ‘thank you’ message, along with a light-hearted whinge about how much longer it takes to load the new site on my mobile broadband connection. When I type in my comment and press ‘post’, it says “Enter your details to post”, opens up two text boxes, and a “Go” button. But it doesn’t say anywhere what details it wants in the text boxes, so I can’t get past this stage. The second box isn’t a password field, so it’s not as if it wants me to sign in with my forum username. If there are two text boxes, why haven’t they got prompts so I know what to enter? They are validated somehow - if I just enter my screen name and leave the second blank, it won’t post. If I enter my full name and a web address, it won’t post and outlines my full name in red. If I attempt to sign in using Facebook it tells me that Sitepoint wants to access my contacts list, which I’m not going to allow. So the page needs to say what is expected in these two boxes.

All I want to do is say ‘thanks for the free books’.

What browser are you using? In all my browsers, there is placeholder text that asks for your email in the first input and your name in the second.

IE8 - I have an XP machine and an active dislike for Chrome and/or Firefox due to having to ‘re-learn’ where everything is. I thought I’d mentioned that, but it must have been in the post I was trying to put on the article.

Ugh, how frustrating. I’ll pass that feedback on. And as for the books - you’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Hey there.

Sorry for the confusion. I had tested the placeholder polyfill on IE8, but it may have broken at some point, we’ll look into it to make sure IE8 users aren’t left confused. As Ralph mentioned, the first input is for your email, and the second for your name.

Cheers

When I view the forum on Chrome and look at the new posts the message indicating where the ones I haven’t seen before finishes is always at the top instead of under the ones I didn’t see last time.

Nice work! I haven’t run across any kinks myself. But, if any constructive criticism come to mind I will post back here. Great new look!

I don’t know what’s the problem, but it didn’t work out in mobile view.

What happened to the RSS feeds?

These used to work…

http://feeds.feedburner.com/SitepointFeed?format=xml
http://feeds.pheedo.com/sitepoint_recent

http://www.sitepoint.com/feed/ or http://www.sitepoint.com/design/feed/ (for example) will work